Chapter 13 • Dress Shopping

Mackenzie's POV

It's Saturday today. Meaning I have to go dress shopping for homecoming. The girls are all busy so, I'm going with my sister... yay!

Note the sarcasm.

I mean, I am excited. Maddie has good taste, it's just I'd rather go with my friends than my sister. Thankfully it's not mom though.

"Good morning sweetie," mom greets, as I entered the kitchen.

"Hi mom," I say hugging her as I passed by.

I grabbed a cup and filled it with water. I take a sip and walk over to the table and take a seat next to Maddie and Dad.

"What are you going to do today Mack?" Dad asked, setting his coffee down.

"Maddie and I are going shopping for homecoming dresses, then we're probably going to get lunch," I answer, taking some fruit for myself.

"You're going to have the prettiest dress. Especially if Maddie picks it out," mom states taking a seat.

Maddie nodded in agreement. "It's going to be fun, it's like our sister sister days we used to have when you were little," Maddie smiled.

Ah those days were fun. Maddie would take me shopping, or she'd take me to the movies. Sometimes the R rated ones I wanted to see. It was just a whole day out for ourselves. When Maddie graduated though it stopped because she had to go to college.

We did it a bit when she came home but, as I got older I didn't want to hang out with my big sister as much. I'd want to spend time with my friends and do our own thing.

I nodded and took a bite of a strawberry. Listening to the new conversation that had formed. Of course it's about the future. More specifically Maddie and Jack's future.

I sat there praying it wouldn't turn into my future. If it does god only knows what I am going to do.

"So, are you going to do a gender reveal party when it comes time?" Mom asked.

Maddie and Jack nodded. "Ya, we were thinking about it," Jack answered.

"What do you want it to be?" Dad asked.

"We both actually kind of want a girl. But, we'll be happy either way," Maddie smiled.

"Any name ideas?" Mom questioned, sipping her coffee.

Maddie nods. "We have a few actually. For boys we were thinking Archie Raymond, Bryant Park and Jace Henry. For girls we were thinking Phoebe Violet, Gwyneth Nicole and Tori Rose," she explains.

I loved all the names. They were all adorable, especially Tori Rose and Archie Raymond. I thought they were perfect. Especially for their child.

I guess time will tell which they choose though.

-

"Okay, let's go to Nordstrom first," Maddie said, as we pulled up to the mall.

I nodded as we pulled into the spot and parked the car. I already knew I didn't want anything too flashy and glitzy. Just a plain simple homecoming dress.

We walk into the store and walk straight the the Homecoming section. Searching through the racks of dresses.

"Any specific colors Mack?" Maddie asked me, as she scanned the rack.

"Either black, white or red. And I don't want a gown. Just a regular dress."

Maddie nods, now having the search narrowed down and more specific made it easier on us.

I look through the racks and found the dress. I loved it. Just a simple white fitted dress. It had cut away shoulders and lace in the back. It was beautiful and i loved it so much.

"Maddie this one," I say.

She walks over and looks at it smiling. "This is perfect, now we need shoes. Black, white or red shoes?"

"What about nude?"

She looks at me and smiles, "perfect."

We walk to the shoe section and look around for shoes to match. I found a nude, 6inch platform heel, they looked cute.

"Madz, yes or no?" I ask.

"They're cute, try them on," she instructed.

I nodded and sit down. Trying them on, they fit perfectly. I walked around and pressed the dress against the front of me. They looked cute. It worked well for me.

"Totally cute, John's going to love it," Maddie smiled. "Just, don't make me an aunt."

I rolled my eyes and took off the heels. Putting my sneakers back on.

She still hasn't gotten over me and John from earlier this week. I mean, she can't just get over it? It's not that bad. Everyone does it at some point in their lives.

I got up and we paid for the dress and shoes. I don't need any jewelry because I already have a lot at home. So once we finished paying we put it in the car and drove to go get some lunch.

"So Kenz, you want me to do your hair and makeup next week?" Maddie asked.

"Uh, sure. I don't think the girls are going to come over until after. If not we're probably sleeping at either Lexi's or Lauren's house," I say.

Maddie smiled keeping her eyes on the road. "So aren't you and John nominated for homecoming king and queen?" She asked.

I nodded in response looking down at my phone. "We're nominated but I don't care if we win or lose."

"That's good that you have that attitude towards it," Maddie stated.

I nodded and stared out the window as we pulled into the diners parking lot.

"Thanks for taking me today Madz," I say getting out of the car.

"No problem. Plus, I like shopping. If you want we can go back and shop some more. We just don't tell Jack until we get home," Maddie suggested.

I laughed. "Definitely."