Chapter 22 • Tryouts

Mackenzie's POV

"You're going to be great today," Maddie reassured as I had just sat down for breakfast.

Today was Friday, meaning there was soccer tryouts after school. It was originally supposed to be later this month, but the information got mixed up with basketball tryouts. Needless to say, I wish I had gotten more practice but, it is what it is.

"Ya sweetie, you're going to be so good. I'm confident you'll make the team," mom said.

"Thanks, I just wish I had more time to practice," I say, eating some fruit.

"You're going to knock them dead Kenzie. No need to worry, you have this in the bag," dad said.

I smiled at him and he smiled back. Sticking his fist out I gave him a fist bump.

"What time are you going to be home?" Mom asked.

"Probably around five. Lexi will give me a ride home," I say.

They nodded and I looked over at the clock. I need to get to school. Lexi will be outside any minute.

With that I got up and said goodbye to my family. Making my way out of the house and to Lexi's car, that had just pulled up.

I sit in the passengers seat and close the door as Lexi began to drive away.

We picked up Annie and Lauren and then we were on our way.

"You girls ready for today?" Annie asked enthusiastically.

"Yes! And plus, we definitely have this tryout wrapped around our fingers. Coach basically guaranteed each of us a spot last year," Ruby said.

I nodded and looked out the window. Even though I was nervous I knew I could do it. Coach did guarantee us a spot last year, so hopefully it shouldn't be that bad.

Lexi pulled into the school and parked the car. We got out and walked up the steps of the school and met up with the boys.

"You girls got this," Ashton smiled.

"Thanks babe," Ruby said, kissing him.

"Hey Kenzie, can we talk for a minute?" John asked, whispering in my ear.

I nodded as he pulled me off to the side. Away from our friends.

If I'm being honest I was nervous. I was hoping it wasn't going to be about him and the military. I didn't want to even think about it, but, I couldn't help not to.

"What's up?" I ask, moving some hair behind my ear.

He smiled and stroked my cheek. "I wanted to give you something," John said.

He pulls something out of his pocket and places it in my hand. I look at it and see what it was. Seeing a rope bracelet.

"You gave it to me when I broke my hand. Remember? It's kind of my good luck charm, I figured you should have it for today," John smiled.

I smiled back and put it on. Then hugged him, "thank you baby."

"You're welcome," he whispered, kissing my forehead.

-

"Alright girls, start stretching, tryouts will start in five!" Coach Miller shouts.

We nodded and the girls and I gathered around. We began to stretch and chatted while we did.

"So, what did John want to talk to you about today?" Lauren asked.

"He gave me his bracelet as a good luck charm," I responded.

"Aw that's so cute," Lexi gushed.

I smiled and rolled my eyes, stretching over to my side.

"So what should we do for our memorable year?" Annie asked.

"We could throw a party," Ruby suggests.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's just take a trip," I suggest.

They turn to me and give me a disappointed look, "we've been over this Mack, we can't," Lauren said.

"Come on, seriously, we always say that we wanted to travel. I say we should do it now," I suggested.

"Well, we're going on that cruise during spring break," Annie states.

"No, I mean like a trip for ourselves. One without our families. Just us and the boys."

They gave me a look and shrugged. "I don't know this time Kenzie," Lauren says.

I sighed and nodded as the coaches whistle blew.

"Alright girls line up! Tryouts start now!" Coach Miller shouts.

I looked at the girls and we had the same look. Here we go.

-

I walked into my large house tired and sweaty. I could smell dinner being cook, with a hint of pumpkin. I smiled a bit and walked into the kitchen, seeing my family helping cook dinner.

"Mackenzie, sweetie! How did tryouts go?" Mom asked, noticing me.

Everyone turned and smiled walking over to me. Mom grabbed my hands and squeezed them tightly. Nervous of my response.

"Well, I tried and I don't think it's a good year," I say sadly.

"Aw, kenz I'm sorry you didn't get it," Maddie said hugging me.

"It's not a good year for the other teams because I made it!" I smiled.

My family's jaws dropped. They looked proud, and shocked.

"No way that's awesome!" Jack said happily.

I was hugged by my family and squeezed to death by them. It was worth it though, they were happy and proud of me.

This was one of the three things I was really good at and I got on the team with the rest of the girls.