Chapter 9 • Rehersal Dinner

Mackenzie's POV

I throw my clothes in a bag and zip it up. I'm leaving tomorrow for Maddie's wedding. So my family and everyone else are going to be at a hotel all weekend.

Today I have to send out my college essays. I have a total of ten of them. They're going to; NYU, Stony Brook, Berkeley, Dartmouth, SCAD university, Full Sail University, UCLA, Princeton, University of Pittsburgh and Wagner College.

I have the grades to get into the really good schools. I don't know if those are the schools I want though.

I sighed as I grabbed the letters and walked down the stairs, out the front door, down the front stairs and down the walkway to the mailbox.

I open it up and place the letters inside, closing it and putting the flag up. I walk back inside and close the door, locking it behind me.

"Sending out your college applications?"

I turn and see my mom, smiling proudly at me. I nodded and her smile got bigger.

"I can't believe my baby is going to go to college! You're getting so big!" Mom cried, pulling me into a tight hug.

I smiled and hugged her back, knowing she needs this. She's upset that I'm leaving her.

The one thing I've been certain about is I want to go somewhere. I want to go places, see things, see places. I want to travel.

I've known this since I was thirteen. I've been saying it since I was thirteen, either way, whether I got to college or not, I'm leaving. I'm seeing places.

"It's okay mom," I say.

She moves away and smiled, wiping her tears. "My girls are getting so big. My oldest is getting married and my baby is graduating high school this year," she cried.

I smiled weakly and hugged her again. This is going to be a long weekend.

"Melissa, she's not graduating yet," dad says, grabbing mom's shoulder.

"I know but, still, how is this happening? I'm only twenty three," mom jokes.

I chuckled at the fact she used the same joke as always. Yup, definitely going to be a hell of a long ass weekend. And I can't even drink!

-

I place my bags in the trunk of Lexi's car. I'm riding with the girls, then the boys are in Johnny's car. Mom and dad are in their car same as Maddie and Jack.

It's not a far drive, only about an hour and half. Just about that.

I get in the passengers seat, while Annie, Lauren and Ruby are sat in the back. I get to play DJ on the ride.

"Alright, we got a crap load of snacks and drinks. So we will provide the snacks," Ruby says.

I laughed and shook my head slightly. Plugging my phone into the Aux and the charger, I start to play the music.

"So you excited? Tonight's the rehearsal dinner, tomorrow's the wedding. Then we have the weekend to hang out and relax," Annie asked.

I shrugged, "kind of just want this to be done with. There's been so much talk about this so I just want to be done with it."

"Understandable, I mean, it's been like a year," Lauren said.

I nodded and stared out of the window and sing along with the music. It was going to be a fun hour and a half.

-

We've been in the hotel for about two hours. We just got back from the rehearsal for the wedding. Now the girls and I are currently getting ready for the rehearsal dinner.

So we're crowded in Lauren and I's bathroom. It's not that bad though, so I can't really say we're crowded in the bathroom.

"Mackenzie, come here, let me do your makeup," Lexi said, finishing her winged eyeliner.

I walk over, now finished with my hair and take a seat. She starts to do my makeup to match my dress.

It's just a tight black dress. I have matching stilettos to go with it.

"This is going to be fun," Annie squealed.

"Definitely. Tomorrow is going to be crazy as fuck though," I sighed.

"Ya but, it'll be fun at least. And by the way when you hook up with John tomorrow, use protection," Ruby tips.

The girls laughed while I shot her a death glare. "Same goes for the rest of you too. Don't go pointing fingers at just me," I say.

-

The rehearsal dinner is going great so far. It's a lot of fun. My friends and I have one big table together, so we've been joking around and what not.

"You guys having a good time?" Jack asked, walking over to our table.

We nodded smiling, "what about you groom to be?" Ashton asks.

"I am very good. Having a great time. Very excited," Jack smiled.

I smiled back, gesturing him to come closer. "Tomorrow night, because I know you two have done it before. Make it count," I whisper in his ear.

He looks at me and laughs.

"What are you telling him?" Maddie asked coming up behind me.

"Just giving him a suggestion that's all," I shrugged laughing.

She shakes her head and pats my shoulder. "So you have your speech ready for tomorrow?" Maddie asked.

My eyes widened. I forgot my speech at home. I mean, it won't be hard, but, still I want it to be special and not half assed like I always do.

"Ya, it's going to be great," I smiled.

She smiled back and then her and Jack started to walk around again. I need to write that speech.

I go to get up and walk over to my mom. Taking a seat next to her.

"Mom, I forgot something at home," I whisper.

"What'd you forget?" Mom asked concerned.

"My speech for tomorrow," I answer.

She gives me a look, "sweetie it's okay you can come up with it as you talk. You're good at it. Just, don't mess up. You don't want to ruin your sisters wedding," mom explained.

I look at her shocked. The last sentence she said though got to me. I know myself well enough to know I will mess it up.

Maddie's going to hate me forever if I do. Oh no, I was afraid of this.