Chapter 20 • Not Today

Mackenzie's POV

The sound of the ball hitting the net was like music to my ears. I had set up the two goals a fair distance away from each other and started to practice my soccer skills.

Tryouts were in a few weeks, I was determined to practice as much as I could until then. Of course weather playing a big part in this role, I'd have to practice in the basement for a bit once it started to snow.

I practiced my footwork with the ball. Running, kicking it from one foot to the other. Finally feet from the goal, I kick it. It goes flying and makes it in the net.

I smirked and grabbed the bag of soccer balls and poured it onto the ground. I made a pile of them and started practicing my shots.

"Hey."

I turn and see Maddie and Jack. I smiled and waved.

I turn back and kick the ball making it into the goal.

"Practicing already?" Maddie questioned, standing next to the pile of balls I had set up.

I nodded and did some footwork with the ball, then kicked it in. "Yup, I want to be good and make it on the team," I say.

"Are your friends trying out too?" Jack asked.

I sighed and shook my head, kicking another ball and missing the goal. "Damn it," I muttered.

"They're not trying out. Well, actually they said they might tryout. But I know that means no. So I'm flying solo this year," I said, kicking another ball into the air and getting it stuck in a tree.

"Fuck my life!" I groaned walking over to the tree and start climbing it.

"Be careful," Maddie said.

"I will," I say getting to the branch it was on. It wasn't that far up actually. All I had to do was shake it and it fell to the ground.

I jumped down and kicked the ball. Running after it and got back to my position I was at before.

"So why aren't they trying out?" Maddie asked.

I sighed and kicked the ball in again. Turning towards them. Breathing heavily I begin to explain. "Well two of my friends have internships already and the rest of them want to focus on other things. So this art and music being the only things in decent at, I'm going to do it anyways."

"First of all you're not decent. You're really great at those things," Jack said. "And second, your friends will tryout with you."

I shake my head, "they say differently."

"Look, you guys always tryout together. It's going to happen. They just don't know yet. It will happen," Maddie said.

I shrugged, "whatever happens happens."

"Aren't you cold sweetie?"

I look over and see Mom walking over to us. "No I'm fine," I say.

"Well, go hop into a shower, we're going to go out to eat," Mom said.

I nodded and go to clean up. "Don't worry, I got it sweetie," Mom smiled.

I nodded and ran inside. Leaving my cleats outside, I run upstairs and to my room. Taking a fast shower and getting ready.

-

I sat in my room. It's almost midnight and I can't sleep. Whenever this happens I put on Netflix and I draw.

I begin to draw whatever pops into mind. The sad thing is, what comes to mind is everything my friends told me during lunch. All the times they turned me or my ideas down.

There's always been apart of me that knew, I wasn't like them. Even from the moment we became best friends I was different. I was the quieter one, the artistic one, I got in trouble a lot too. Something's don't change though.

My phone buzzed beside me. I picked it up and checked it.

iMessage received now
Choppy🍜: hey look outside

Why does she want me to look outside? I get up anyways and walk over to my window, opening up the shade and look out at my front yard.

I see my friends standing there. They're waving at me happily and in their hands I can see bags of food and drinks.

I sighed and looked at them as they looked up at me. I shake my head and close the shade. Laying back down on my bed.

I wasn't in the mood to interact today. I ignored my phone having a seizure from their texts and closed my eyes. Falling asleep slowly.