Chapter 42 • Fights

Mackenzie's POV

I picked up my nephew and hold him in my arms. I'm babysitting him until Maddie and Jack come back from their date. I don't mind though, he's a little cutie and he's getting so big even though he's only a month old.

"So bubs, Auntie Mack is in a pickle. She doesn't know what she wants to do in the future," I say.

I know he doesn't understand me. He just looks up at me with his big blue eyes. Just like Maddie's. The few hairs on his head are jet black like Jack's. A perfect combination of the both of them.

"I don't know what to do Archie. I want to make you proud. I want to make grandma and grandpa proud, mommy and daddy proud, I don't know what to do," I say.

Like I said, I know he doesn't understand me. I know he just sees me in a 2 dimensional world since he hasn't developed his depth perception yet since he hasn't learned to crawl. It's probably like a weird world but, still. He just looks at me with a curious look, his hands reaching up at me, wrapping his tiny hand around my finger.

It's nice though, just to talk about it. Even though I won't get a response, it's nice to let it out and talk about it.

He makes a small sound and yawns. Stretching his arms and getting comfortable. I couldn't help but to smile at him.

I kiss his forehead and lay him down in his crib. I watched as he falls asleep and the quietly make my way out of the room.

I go downstairs and sit on the couch, turning on the television and watching a movie. As time passed, I heard the door open and hear talking.

"Hey Kenzie," Jack greeted.

I smiled and turned off the tv. Standing up and hugging them. "Hey guys, how was it?" I ask.

"It was great. Dinner was fantastic, and we walked on the beach, it was perfect," Maddie smiled.

I smiled back at her. "Well baby boy is sleeping now. He ate and I gave him a bath. Played with him a bit and it was fun. We watched some movies together and talked."

Maddie smiled wrapping her arm around me. "Well it's nice you did all that and had fun. Now come on, I'll drive you home. I have to pick something up from home anyways."

I nodded and grabbed my stuff, walking to the garage with Maddie. Getting in the passengers seat of the car, she drives away and starts heading towards the house.

"So what's you and Archie talk about?" Maddie laughed.

"Just stuff," I shrugged.

She laughs and pats my thigh, "Thank you for watching him. Here's your money by the way," Maddie said, handing me money from the cup holder.

"Thank you," I say putting it in my pocket.

Before we both knew it we pulled up to the house. We both get out after parking the car and enter the house. I figured Mom and Dad would be asleep by now but no they were up.

"Mackenzie?" I hear Dad call out.

"Yes, Maddie's here too," I say walking in the living room.

I see them sitting on the couch. They look at pissed, I'm afraid to know why.

"What's wrong?" Maddie asked.

"Well, Mackenzie have you heard from any colleges lately?" Mom questioned.

I shake my head no. But still very very terrified on what's wrong.

"The what are these?" Mom questioned pulling out the college letters.

My jaw drops. The went through my room. They went through my stuff. "You went through my stuff?!" I shout.

"We thought it was weird you didn't hear anything from colleges yet. Ironically I went to get your laundry and I saw something with one of the colleges on your desk and I picked it up. I found seven letters Mackenzie. Half of them are past deadline Mackenzie?! How could you do this?" Mom explained.

I don't say anything and look down at my feet. Mom getting closer and closer to me. Shouting at me, scolding me for everything.

"This is so irresponsible of you. I don't understand what's your dysfunction?! Mackenzie what's your problem? Why can't you be like your sister?" Mom shouts.

"BECAUSE I AM NOT MADDIE!" I scream. "I'm Mackenzie Mom! My name is M-A-C-K-E-N-Z-I-E. That's the name you chose stick with it. I am my own person. You won't understand and you will never understand."

"I won't understand why I have such a disappointment for a daughter," Mom says.

The realization hits her the same time it hits everyone else. Her jaw, as well as Dad and Maddie's drop down. Tears welled in my eyes trying not to cry.

"Melissa-" Dad began.

"Mackenzie I didn't-"

"NO! Just no! I hate you! It's pretty fucking obvious that you never loved me and you never will. I've always been a disappointment to you and everyone else. Now I have the proof so thanks for that," I say running upstairs to my room.

I slammed my door shut and start packing a bag. I'm not staying here. As long as Mom hates me and thinks of me like that I'm not staying in a place where is obvious I'm a disappointment.

"Mackenzie, it's okay," Maddie said walking into my room. She comes up behind me and hugs me tightly.

I cried into her shoulder and held her. "I'm a disappointment Maddie. Nobody fucking cares or loves me," I cried.

"Shhh, that's not true Mack. That's far from it and you know it. I love you to the moon and back. Moms just mad right now. Until she cools down you're staying at my house okay?" Maddie explains.

I nodded and wiped my eyes. I packed my bag some more and zipped it up.

"Let's go baby sis," Maddie said wrapping her arm around me.