Light Up the Darkness (Monster Tom x Mage Reader)

There you and your familiar were. In a dark cave with nothing else but your trusty wooden oak staff to guide you through. Although your magic wasn't working for some reason, you have been getting along fine with your familiar beside you. You actually had four familiars, but the other three were too tired to come out of their little marbles they were encased in. You and Tom were just traveling through the dark mossy cave, trying to find where the the special shining ore you needed for a request was.

"Fuck!" You cursed, tripping over a rock and falling onto the moist floor. You sighed, getting up as you tried to use your staff to light up a way to see, but of course, the damn thing wouldn't work. "Why the hell is my magic not working in here?" You asked yourself.

"Maybe it's just you. You suck at magic, you know. For a mage, you suck." A low growl came out from behind you.

"Yeah yeah, I know Tom. Don't have to rub it in my face." You looked back to see one of your familiars, Tom, standing behind you with a smirk on his face.

Tom had brown spikey hair and black eyes, they were entirely black. He had fair tanned skin and a slight stubble on his chin. He wore a blue hoody that was ripped at the elbows because he was half monster. He had gray pants on and no shoes because his feet were used to rocky terrain such as this. He was currently in his half mode state as you could see his horns glowing a soft purple color. "It's fun though." He chuckled.

"If you like to make fun of me, why are you my familiar?" You asked him. You finally got your staff to start glowing as you could see around you with the soft blue hue. You adjusted your robe, and you made sure your other familiars were safely nestled inside your bag.

"Because you picked me. It's as simple as that." Tom replied, walking close to you. His tail was dragging across the floor.

You smiled kindly. You had never gotten along with a lot of familiars, most of them didn't like you. Until you met Tom and his three other friends that is. You were shopping at a store in the market when you heard about some rare and hard to handle familiars next door. You decided to check it out, and that's where you found Tom and his friends. When you and Tom made eye contact, it was like a spark that just erupted inside you. You picked them as your own, seeing as how the shopkeeper didn't mind you taking them for free since they were causing a ruckus.

That's when you got to know Tom, Tord, Edd, and Matt as your familiars. Tom was a special monster that was a beautiful shade of dark purple. He was a fighting type of monster. Tord was a red dragon that was also a fighting monster, but he mainly only stayed beside you in air fights. He was very clingy. Edd was a gray and neon green cat monster. He was very friendly and lovable, and he helped with finding certain things for your adventures. And last but not least, Matt. Matt was a large vampire bat monster that was a light shade of hazel brown. He loved fruits and mirrors. He was a speedy devil in the air. You loved all of them with your heart's content.

You had decided to let the other three familiars off the hook for today since they were extremely tired for some reason. You chose Tom to help guide you through the dark cave since he was awake and seemed eager to get out of his confinement. He was actually very solitary, so you didn't know what happened to make him change his behavior. You just thought of him finally wanting to help you instead of being a moody dick all the time.

"You in there Y/N? You're spacing out." Tom called you back into reality by softly patting your head.

You swatted his clawed hand away from your head. "Yes, I'm fine. Just thinking of how I met you guys." You replied quietly.

Tom chuckled, "You know actually, I think about that a lot. I mean, if you didn't get us, then we wouldn't have been able to meet such a nice Mage. Most Mages tend to be cruel to us since we do not follow direct orders fully, but you were fine with us goofing off..." Tom trailed off. "Why is that?"