Chapter 2

Katniss' POV:

I open my eyes to see Peeta lying beside me. Peeta turns over to face me and he smiles.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." I sit up and take a deep breath. I look down at the floor in front of me. Does Peeta still love me? Did the hijacking make him change his mind? My mouth decides to speak before my brain does and I ask him, "Peeta do you still love me?" I decide not to look at him.

I feel movement and Peeta sits beside me. Peeta places one of his hands on top of my entwined ones.

"Yes. Even if that hijacking messed up me I will always love you." Peeta lightly kisses me on the temple before standing up.

"I'll go make some dinner."

"Okay." I reply still staring at the floor. I can't be bothered following him. I just need time to think.

"Alright. I'm downstairs." Peeta says before leaving the room and making his way downstairs.

When his loud footsteps finish bashing against the stairs I sigh. I look up at the oval shaped standing mirror placed across the side of the room.

I look at myself and can outline my scars on my arms, darkening circles under my eyes and my thin and weak looking shape.

"How can he love me? I'm a broken and messed up young woman." I say to myself, tearing my eyes away from the mirror to stop the negative comments I am giving myself.

I force myself to stand up and I choose to walk over to my chest of drawers. I open the top one and rummage through my belongings until I find it. The pearl.
The last gift from the real him. That real Peeta probably won't return to me.

I rub it in between my fingers. I nearly drop the pearl when I hear a smash from downstairs. I turn my head to face the door of the bedroom and the only thought that I can get in my head right now is;

Peeta.