Chapter 39

Katniss' POV:

I sit in our bed, waiting for Peeta to join me so I can fall asleep in his company. While leaning against the headboard, I look down on the engagement ring that has been placed on my finger many hours ago. I smile, what a great moment that has left our worst memories just fallen ashes. I can now hope for a wonderful future with my dear boy with the bread.

I look up when I hear the bathroom door open, with Peeta waking his way out. His curls all messed around and his shirt showing his strong muscles. He comes and sits by me, on the right side of the bed. His side. I give him a small kiss which he returns before I slip myself under our bed covers. Once we both get ourselves comfortable, Peeta lies on his side, facing me and wraps an arm around my body. Protecting me from any possible unexpected harm. I smile at him and gently place my hand on his forearm. Peeta chuckle before making his way through my tangled locks and placing a light kiss on my temple.

"Night Kat." he murmurs into my ear.

"Goodnight Peeta." I mumbles back before my eyes fall to a close and I am out like a light.

I wake up and find myself in a very blank white room. I turn my head slowly and see Peeta with a bundle in his arms. "Peeta?"

"Hey." He smiles at me. I try to move but I let our a faint and quiet scream.

"Why am I sore?" I ask with a croaky voice. Peeta chuckles.

"Must be from all the pushing and your voice. Screaming."

"Huh?" I say before looking at my body. In front of me was a lump. I place a hand on it and discover underneath the sheets is my skin. "I was pregnant?" I asked confused.

"Yes Katniss. You had our baby girl a couple of hours ago." So that's what he's holding.

"Can I see?" I ask him, removing my hand from my stomach and placing it on the edge of a blanket. Infront of my eyes is a small girl with brown hair.

"She has my eyes." Peeta comments just before the baby opens her eyes. A couple of tears fall down my face. My confusion has been pushed to the back of my brain, but it might not stay there for long.

"Name?"

"Millie Willow Mellark." Millie, so familiar so.... recently heard.

I rest my head back on the pillow when a headache starts to show up. I place a hand on my forehead and close my eyes. Wait, I only just got engaged. Why have I got a child after just getting engaged?

"Peeta?"

"Yes?" he replies.

"Are we married?" I ask.

"Yeah duh." Peeta answers like its the most obvious thing.

I open my eyes and look at the hospital bracelet on my arm. The date of my admission read 16 April 2145. The day Peeta proposed. The day we met.... Millie.

The headache immediately turns into a painful pounding in my head. I reach to press the help button. Peeta without a care of my appearance. That's not him.

A minute later a nurse comes in. "You called Mrs Mellark?" I cry out in pain as the pounding gets worse. The nurse comes running to my side. I make out the words the nurse says into her device beyond the highly painful punching in my head. "Need..... Morphling ........ stat."

I close my eyes and whimper before opening them up again. I see a doctor come in with a syringe and before the point even made contact with my skin I black out.

I manage to get a glimpse of Peeta, staring at my daughter. Not even registering I was in pain, like I was asleep.

I sit up in bed sweating and hyperventilating. In our bedroom. What just happened? I turn my head slowly to the right and see Peeta, also sitting up sweating and panting. We stare at each other in confused disbelief.

"We had a child." We both say at the same time, to each other.

You want to talk about it?" My fiancé asks minutes later. I nod answering him and Peeta sits, leaning against the headboard. I lay down and rest my head on his chest. I decide to cuddle close to my love and he comforts me before I tell him my dream.