Chapter 22

Katniss' POV:

I wake up from a mini sleep with Peeta by my side. He is lying on his side. His right arm wrapped around me protectively and his head nestling into my arm half covered with my hair.

I smile at him and quietly sigh. A very cute image to keep in my mind. I must have freaked Peeta out so bad when I had an unexpected panic attack.

To get my thoughts of the past day out of my head, I gaze at my promise ring. The diamonds catching the light and sparkling. I still wear it, why wouldn't I take it off? From that thought it all went down hill.

I soon start to get flashbacks of the time when he asked my for my promise in the meadow 2 weeks ago. Then it fades away from my sight. That was weird. I think before gazing at Peeta.

I then see a flashback of when he gave me the bread, that saved my family's life. The flashback number slowly increases. The list of memories used continues to grow. I start hyperventilating just when Peeta starts to stir.

What's going on!? I stare at the window but still receive short flashbacks.

Everywhere I look, I get flashbacks of some memory in the past. That includes Peeta.
"Katniss." Peeta sits up and I hear the heart monitor start to increase rapidly.

"Katniss calm down!" Peeta grabs hold of my shoulders but it's not working.

I shut my eyes tight and scream, trying to fight it off. It just gets worse.

"Katniss you're scaring me." Peeta comments.

"Trying - stop." I manage to say. I grasp my hands onto my hair and scream again.

"Peeta help me!" More and more are coming into sight. I try to open again but it still shows the images.

I hope for an end to this. I hear the door burst open. I don't dare to look. I'm scared memories of our game will come.

The cave. Us becoming victors of the 74th games. Peeta hitting the forcefield in the Quell. The kiss on the beach. The pearl and medallion he gave to me as a gift.

It's all coming back and there is nothing I can do. I start bobbing up and down. I can't control it. Make it stop! I start crying. I can't control my tears at the moment either, they just spill.

I feel a needle go into my arm and the flashbacks instantly stops. I slowly open my eyes and I see Peeta is lying me down again.

"It's okay." He quietly says to me to calm me.

"I'm sorry." I manage to tell him before my body shuts down. Leaving me in a dark place.