Chapter 5

* Peeta's POV: *

I have to make it up to her. Somehow. I hurt her with no intention to. Why did I have to be hijacked? Why do I still have to get these flashbacks?

I place the bag full of glass shards in the rubbish bin before heading out the back door. I need time to think. I sit myself on the stairs that lead down to our back garden and sigh. I start trying to clear my head of what just happened but I can't.

It's planted in my memory and being edited to be used in my next attack.

Soon I hear the door open and I know it's probably Katniss. The door closes and she sits beside me. Her hand rests on my back and I look up to see Katniss. I sadly smile at her but hen fades as I look at her cheek.

"Oh Katniss, it's worse than before -" Katniss cuts me off with her fingers against my lips.

"Stop apologizing. Do I look as if I'm in pain?" Katniss asks me and I shake my head.

"See, no. Can you please just let the thought go? For me." I try to object but her expression makes me give in.

"Okay." I reply before looking at my shoes.

"I'm going to get a drink. Do you want one?"

"Yeah sure, I'll be there in a minute." Katniss' hand leaves my back and she heads inside. I then remember, it's her birthday tomorrow.

May the 8th.

I'll do something then.

————————————-

I clutch Katniss' gift in my hand and wait for Katniss to come downstairs. I hear the creaking of the wooden stairs and soon see her figure making her way down.

Katniss comes to stand in front of me. "Guess what day it is today Peeta?"

"Oh, I don't know." I lie to her.

"It's my birthday." Katniss replies and gives me a hug.

"No, surely not." I reply sarcastically with a smirk.

"Peeta!" Katniss playfully slaps me on the arm. Now is the time.

"Close your eyes Katniss." she obeys my asking and I open my hand with her gift. I get the other end of the chain and wrap it round her neck. Once I clip it together, I grab her hair and let it flow again. Katniss opens her eyes and looks down on the charm. It was an infinity sign and written was forever and always.

"Oh Peeta." she touches her necklace with a few of her fingers. "You didn't need to."

I kiss her on the lips and engulf her in a hug. When our lips break apart I murmur into her ear.

"Happy Birthday my girl on fire."