Chapter 38

Peeta's POV:

That night, Katniss and I go to bed as an engaged couple. I still can't believe she said yes. Once we get ourselves comfortable in bed, I lie on my side and wrap an arm around Katniss. She smiles places her hand on my arm. I chuckle before making my way through her hair and kissing her temple.

"Night Kat." I murmur into her ear.

"Goodnight Peeta." she mumbles before her eyes fall to a close and she enters sleep. I smile at her and bury some of my head in her hair and soon sleep also takes over me.

I open my eyes to see me standing in a white hallway with doors either side. I place a confused look in my face. I hear a faint cry of a baby and turn my head to the left. A door right by me.

I place my hands on the door and make my way inside. I look up and see a brunette woman, with her head dipped, with a bundle of blankets nestling in her arms. I curiously walk over to the bed.

That's when the woman notices my appearance. She looks up and towards me. Then I recognise who the woman is.

Katniss. "Katniss?"

"Hey Peeta." She tiredly greets me.

"Wh - what have you got there?" I ask pointing to the blankets. She tiredly and quietly chuckles.

"Remember?" I trail down from her face and examine her body. My eyes stop at her stomach. A big raised bump is there, making her figure different.

"A - a baby?"

"Yes Peeta. Come." I walk to stand beside her. She moves her arms and I register she wants me to hold the child. I get my arms ready, confused in my mind, and hold the small baby. I look at her and discover we had a girl.

"What is her name?" I ask after touching her brown hair. "Millie Willow Mellark. Remember we decided it 2 weeks ago." Millie. The name rings a bell.

Millie opens her eyes to look at me and I gasp. "What Peeta?"

"Her eyes." I bend down so Katniss can see the blue eyes of our daughter. Katniss cries in awe and I hand Millie back.

What am I doing? I stand up and try to put the pieces together. "When did Millie arrive?"

"Last night." Katniss replies.

"When did you get pregnant?" I ask, trying to get what has happened.

"Nine months ago on our honeymoon." Wait we aren't married.

"What's going on? We aren't married. I only just proposed to you Katniss." I exclaim.

"That's silly. We are married Peeta. What's happened to your mind?" Katniss is not normally like this.

"This isn't real. It's not happening."

"Peeta?" Katniss asks casually.

"Please don't talk to me." I close my eyes and move around the room. I cover my ears and sit on the cold hospital ground. What's going on?

I sit up in bed sweating and panting. In a dark room. Oh my gosh. I turn my head and see Katniss, also sitting up sweating and hyperventilating. Katniss turns to look at me slowly. We stare at each other in confused disbelief.

"We had a child." we both say at the same time, to each other.

"You want to talk about it?" I ask my fiancée minutes later. Katniss nods and I sit, leaning against the headboard and Katniss resting her head in my chest. She cuddles close to me and I comfort her before she tells me.