Chapter 21

Peeta's POV:

I open my eyes to find myself in a white room. Once my vision becomes clear I can make out my surroundings. A hospital room.

I am lying on a couch next to the window. The medics must have placed me here when I was out.
I turn my head to see a person lying on the hospital bed. I stand up. I can hear the beeping of the heart monitor.

I walk up to the bed and see Katniss. Her hair all messed up and an oxygen mask covering her lips I wish to connect mine with. I sadly smile before kissing her forehead. I place her cold delicate hand in my warm one and gaze at her beauty even in unconsciousness.

"Please wake up. Let me see those eyes." A tear slips down my face and onto Katniss' brown hair.
I sigh. She probably can't hear me, after all, she is unconscious. I turn my head towards the door. Maybe I could do it. My heart is urging me to but my brain is saying no.

I agree to my heart, besides what's that saying. Follow your heart?

This maybe the only way Katniss will register I'm here and possibly could wake up. I slowly lean forward and my hand grasps hold of the plastic mask.

I carefully lift it up away from her face. She can't have this off for long. I find a way to connect my lips to give a peck on hers before letting, all those choices of registering me are in her hands.

I now have to let her decide if she will force those grey orbs of hers to become visible to my eyes again. I gently place the mask back over her mouth and straighten my back up again.

I stroke Katniss' fingers since I realize there are needles connected to the back of her hand. I frown. "Poor Katniss." I murmur.

I look behind myself to find a chair. Not letting go of Katniss' hand I pull the chair closer and sit down next to the bed. Looks like I'll probably be here a while.

-------------------------

"Peeta." I hear a quiet voice speak my name. I look up from the floor hours later to see my Katniss' eyes wide open.

"Katniss!" I stand up with a wide smile on my face. I carefully disconnect her to the oxygen mask before cupping her cheeks and kissing her full on the lips.

"You're okay!" I exclaim.

"You're okay." Katniss repeats. I kiss Katniss multiple times on her face and she smiles.

She strokes my cheek when I break away. "I heard every word you told me." Katniss grins.

I blush. Oh gosh! Why here and now!? "You're so cute when you blush." This comment makes me go redder.

"Awww Peeta." she touches my nose with her finger briefly before having a small yawn.

"Peeta?"

"Yeah, sweetheart."

"I'm tired. Can you come sleep with me?"

"Yeah sure." I help Katniss move to one side of the bed and then I lie down next to her. She closes her eyes and so do I.

"Oh and Peeta don't call me sweetheart." I chuckle.

"Okay. Love you."

"You too." Katniss tells me before sleep takes over.