Chapter 34

Katniss' POV:

Peeta and I walk our way through the trees. The fallen leaves crunching below our feet and the loud steps made by Peeta. I don't mind his heavy steps, but I would gave been years ago. If I knew him.

Every few plants, every few steps I start to recognize this area. This area is next to the lake. "Peeta?"

Still walking, he looks at me. "Yeah."

"Why are you taking me to the lake?" I ask but get no reply from his mouth. I roll my eyes. Typical.

I set my eyes on the tall standing trees around us. Branches full of colour changing leaves, after all it is Autumn. The moss slowly covering the splatted and ripped bark from the trunk.

After a few moments a glistening catches my eyes and I blink, realizing the source. The water from the lake twinkles like stars in the distance. As you near the lake, you realize the lines of ripples. Movement from the possible world underneath what we see.

Peeta turns away from the water and faces the direction on the house. The still standing, small concrete house that was a place of my childhood. Where I spent most of my memorable times with my father. I would bring my kids here, if it ever happens.

Once we are on the top step to the house Peeta stops me. "Now Katniss. There is a covered painting at the other end of the room. I want you to uncover it." I nod, in my mind curious.

He opens the door and gestures me in. I go in at his request slowly, examining around. He has been here recently.

Light floods through the glass windows. No dust in sight. I look straight in front of me and see an easel with a covered canvas sitting on it. The painting. I slowly and cautiously make my way towards it.

I entwine my fingers together, a bit nervous and what might be lying under the sheet. I turn my head to glance back at Peeta, halfway there, and he nods. I turn back and finish the short journey to the easel.

I place my hand on the sheet. I grasp onto it, taking a deep breath before ripping it off and letting the fabric fall from my fingers. My mouth immediately drops open with a gasp, absentmindedly talking a couple of steps back.

"Oh my gosh." I place my hands over my mouth. I turn around and see Peeta on his knees.

This isn't real. I look back at the painting and then at Peeta. This is really real.

I never thought he would do this. I turn to face Peeta and look down on him, tears streaming down my face. The words I never thought would be written by him had been and were right behind me. I couldn't believe what was going on.

My emotions were running wild. While Peeta waits, looking into my eyes, the phrase swirls in my head. Written on the easel, the words which are now trying to find a place in my brain:

Will you marry me?