Chapter 7

Katniss' POV:

Peeta and I are watching the news on the couch in each others embrace when the phone rings. I get myself ready to get up but Peeta beats me.

"I'll get it." Peeta sits up and lifts himself up and walks into the hallway. Who is it?

"Hello....yes..." I hear the distant sound of Peeta talking to whoever is on the phone. Soon I hear his heavy footsteps. Please don't tell me....

"Katniss?" I jerk my head to see Peeta in the opening. He gestures to the phone using his head. Oh great....

I stand up and walk towards him. He kisses me as I walk past.

"Call me if you want me okay?" Peeta says and I nod at him. I walk towards the phone and nervously clutch it and place it against my ear.

"Hello?"

"Is this Miss Everdeen?" The person on the other end asks.

"Yes it is." I reply.

"Hello there. I am a nurse at the main hospital in District 4." Oh no... What's happened to Annie? Does Mum need me?

"Okay. You have called me because?"

"I have some news about your mother." The nurse replies and I start to shake.

"Is she okay?" I ask worriedly.

"I am sorry to say..." Oh mother! "..... She is close to death."

My mouth drops open and a tear runs down my cheek.

"I am sorry, goodbye." The call ends and I stand there in fear and shock. I lower the phone but keep it in my grasp.

"Peeta." I quietly call him. In seconds Peeta is in the frame of the living room. I slowly look at him and stare in fear.

"Katniss?"

"She's d-dying." I stutter before I drop the phone out of my grasp and collapse onto the floor.

"Katniss!" Peeta runs to me and kneels beside me.

I see him mouth stay with me before I black out.