Chapter 23

Peeta's POV:

"I'm sorry." Is all that Katniss told me before being distant from me once more.

"It's okay. She'll be out for about 5 minutes." One of the doctors inform me before they leave.

My eyes are wide open and my mouth open in shock. Did that just happen? I turn stare at Katniss.

"Oh Kat. I would rather be the one in this situation so you could be safe." I confess before giving her cold nose a peck from my lips. Just as I raise my head, I see Katinss' closed eyes twitch.

Seconds later they flutter open, revealing her grey orbs which I am amazed by. "P - Peeta." katniss stutters to me.

"Yeah." I nod and sadly smile.

"C -can you hug m- me?" She asks. I know she's scared.

"Of course." Katniss extends her arms and I wrap mine around her. Once her arms connect together around my back I hear sniffles. Every second it increases and in no time she's crying.

She buries her head into my shirt. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen." she apologizes to me.

I sit on the edge of her bed, still hugging her. I move my right hand to the back of her head on bury my nose in her hair.

"Hey, hey. You didn't know. It's okay." I stroke Katniss' back with my other hand. "I understand."

"But it's different from you. You're hijacked." That's when I lift my head up. I see a image of Katniss trying to kill me but it fades away quickly. I close my eyes tight. It's not real, Katniss loves me. I don't want a mind battle to start. I open my eyes again.

"I shouldn't have said that." My love admitted.

"No, it's fine." Amother image of Katniss as a mutt appears. Oh no.

"Katniss, do you want to hold my hand?" I ask. Katniss takes my hand without reply. "Sorry if I squeeze it."

"Peeta?" Katniss' crying stops. She is concerned about me now. I don't reply, more and more are coming in. I squish my eyes tight to try and block the world out.

"You love me, Real or not Real Katniss?" I say to try and tell my mind it's wrong.

"100% real." I feel a pain in my arm and quietly yelp.

"Peeta it isn't real. I love you." I start deeply breathing. Katniss = Mutt? Katniss = Lover?

"I don't know." I mutter. "I don't know."

"You do Peeta, you do." Katniss assures me.

Katniss..... That is the last thought before my wrong mind becomes in control.

She's a mutt. Katniss is a mutt and

That

Is

Real.