Chapter 56

***Some Few Hours Later***

I check my phone for the time and notice that we stayed out a little longer than intended

01:33

''Wow! It's half one, guys! When did that happen?'' I laugh loudly as I take my bottle of beer in my hand once more and take a refreshing mouthful.

We're all sitting around outside in the cool air outside of the bar where we have spent the evening dancing, downing shots and generally having a good time with some great people. I can see it in Sophie's eyes that she is struggling to stay away and even though she would love to fall asleep there and then, however, she is way too classy of a girl to do that. I think it's time we make our way back to the villa. It has been a long day for everyone after all.

''Babe, wanna head back to the house? You look beat'' I whisper in her ear as I pull her close to my chest and sling my arm around her shoulder.

She simply nods her head against my chest in response to my question and that is all the information I required.

''Okay. Let's get you to bed'' I whisper again in her ear as I lift myself and herself up from the soft wicker sofa outside on the veranda.

''Guys, we're going to head back to the house. Sophie is absolutely shattered. We will catch up with you tomorrow. You know where you're going, yeah?'' I smile at the other 3 as they briefly allow me to interrupt their group chat to let them know that we are leaving.

''Oh, no worries at all, Gary. I think we're going to head off ourselves after this drink as it's been quite a long day'' Jess chuckles back at me before taking her cocktail to her lips once more and taking a sip.

''Yeah, we know where we're headed. Down the laneway here for about 10 minutes and then it's the 2 left and then the first right is us. Thanks again for this, Mr. Barlow. Still don't know what to say'' Danny, our pilot smiles back at me again.

''Firstly, no Mr. Barlow here. I'm just Gary. I insist, please. Secondly, you do not need to thank me. It's me who is to be thankful, but we have already gone through that'' I wink at them as I pull Sophie closer to me once again.

''We best get going before she falls asleep standing up'' I chuckle and nudge Sophie lightly in the side which earns me a playful slap on the arm in protest.

''I'm not that bad, guys. Just that the jet lag is beginning to hit me now. I'm not used to such long flights...'' she yawns from behind her hand.

''Yeah, tell that to the pillow, babe'' I chuckle once more at her before waving goodbye to guys, as we turn around head down the steps to get back on to the laneway towards the villa

*****

We arrive home around 15 minutes later. We were in no rush to get home and Sophie seemed to wake up a little bit on the way home so we stopped and had a look at the stars for a few minutes on the way home.

''Alright, let's get you to bed. You look absolutely shattered'' I say softly to Sophie, as I close the door behind me, lock it and then make our way up the stairs.

''Sorry for cutting the evening short, babe. I just got a wave of tiredness from the traveling today''

''There is no need to apologize, Sophie. Everyone gets tired. We're just more used to it that's all. A good nights sleep and you will raring to go tomorrow. I promise''

Even saying the words are making me feel a little sleepy also. I direct Sophie to her side of the bed and help her rid her clothes from her tired frame. Once she is undressed and I have to tear my eyes from he beautiful body, I pull back to covers and help her slip into bed.

''You coming to bed also?'' she asks me sleepily, as she wraps herself up in the covers.

''Yep, just going to wash my face and then I'll be right there, baby'' I smile at her as I pull my shirt from my body and hang it over the back of the armchair in the corner of the bedroom and make my way to the ensuite bathroom.

I switch the bathroom light off after cleaning my face and brushing my teeth. Discarding my clothes at the foot of the bed, I pad nakedly over to my side and slide under the covers beside Sophie.

''Come here you. Give us a cuddle'' I whisper at her, as I hold my arms open for her to slide into my chest.

She willingly slides her tired frame over the bed ever so slightly, which allows me to wrap my arms around her and cuddle her close to my chest and keep her warm. Planting a light kiss in her hair, it's not long before I hear the deeper breaths and light snores indicating that she has indeed fallen asleep.

Closing my eyes for a brief moment, I drink this moment in as I realize that in knowing this girl only for a matter of a few months, I feel that I have found the person that I have been waiting for all this time. All the failed relationships and heartbreak that was experienced by me in the past seem to be - in this very moment - all erased from my memory as a rush of love pours through me from head to toe.

I look down to her one more time and the words roll effortlessly off of my tongue;

''I love you, Sophie. I cannot wait to marry you someday''