Chapter 63

''That wasn't that bad, was it?'' Sophie laughs at me as we carry the bags of shopping in from the car and through to the kitchen.

Dropping my bags on the island in the middle of the kitchen, I turn to face her with my mouth wide open and my eyebrows almost in my hair.

''Wasn't that bad? Babe, we were basically followed around the place by that middle-aged woman. Thank goodness you were with me, otherwise, I think she would have jumped my bones!'' I exclaim back before we both burst into a fit of giggles together.

''It was a little hectic I must admit. I just thought people would be more pre-occupied this close to Christmas Day. That's all'' she says as she opens the fridge and begins to put the messages away.

''It's been like that for years though. Ever since we got back together really. I appreciate it of course, but there's a time and a place for it I feel'' I say to her as I pick up her shopping bags and place them beside the others on the island.

''Anyway, less of that. Is everything in from the car?'' I say to her, grabbing my keys to head out and lock the car.

''I think so. Double check though, yeah?'' I hear her call back as I head down the hallway.

After double checking that all of the shopping has been brought in from the car and that nothing has been left behind us; phones etc, I lock up the car, enter the code for the electronic gates to close before heading back up the drive and into the house. I shut the door behind me, kick off my shoes and head back down the hall to the kitchen. The sound of the kettle boiling is like music to my ears when I cross the threshold to the kitchen.

''Fancy a cuppa, Gary?'' she asks over her shoulder.

''I'll make them, babe. You head on into the lounge and I'll bring them in'' I wink at her, as I sidle past her and the fridge to grab two cups from the press and pop a teabag into each of them.

''You sure? Okay, cool. Let me just pop the last few bits away'' she says softly, as she empties the last bag of shopping and pops them all away in the various cupboards and presses.

Once she has the messages put away, she pads over to me, plants a soft kiss on my cheek and pats me lightly on the bum before spinning on her heel and heading on through to the lounge. In a matter of moments, I hear the unmistakable music to the opening credits to FRIENDS. That girl has an addiction to that show! If that's the worst show she watches, then I think we will be just fine.

A few minutes later, I follow her into the lounge armed with two steaming cups of tea and a cheeky plate containing a few biscuits from the biscuit tin. Her eyes raise quickly at seeing the goodies and I simply shrug at her as I place everything on the table in front of us.

''It's Christmas, babe. I going to enjoy our first Christmas together with some treats'' I wink at her as I sit down on the couch beside her and open my arm wide so that she can snuggle into my chest and give me a well-needed cuddle.

We sit in complete silence. A comfortable silence that has fallen over us as we watch an episode of FRIENDS that, between us both, we must have seen over 100 times now at this stage. Every now and again, I can feel Sophie's lips mouth the words as they fall from the mouths of the characters in the show. As I watch her out of the corner of my eye, and obviously not paying any attention to the show, I jumped when Sophie's laughs loudly at something stupid that one of the main characters comes out with.

''Christ, Soph. Frightened the life out of me!'' I chuckle at her as she wipes a stray tear from her eye from the laughter.

''Sorry. I know the line is coming, but it gets me every time!'' she defends herself, before snuggling into my chest once more.