Chapter 50

I wake up the next morning to the sound of running water coming from the shower in the ensuite at the bottom of the bedroom. A smile immediately plays on my lips at the memory of last night, and the wobbly legs and slightly sore biceps are only an indication of how much fun we had last night after we finished off what we started in the bathtub. The door opens quietly and out steps the Goddess of a creature that I get to call my girlfriend. Small droplets of water are dotted around the tanned shoulders that appear above the towel that she has wrapped around her body underneath her arms.

''Morning, beautiful. All set for today?'' I smile at her, sitting up in bed resting against the headboard.

She gives me half a smile, which instantly makes my heart drop just a little.

''Hey, come here'' I say softly, as I pat the space on the bed beside me.

She wraps a towel around her hair and then joins me on the duvet covers. She doesn't come in for a cuddle as she doesn't want to get me wet. Instead, she reaches out for my hand, linking our fingers together.

''You're going to absolutely smash it, sweetheart. You've got this. Make them suffer for what they did to that boy and just remember that tomorrow we get away for 4 days of sunshine, sea and sandy beaches where it will be just the two of us and you will not have to worry or think about anything to do with this case anymore, OK?'' I say to her softly, squeezing her hand giving her reassurance that I'm always going to be here for her.

''I don't deserve you, Gary. You're too good to me''

Her words fall out of her mouth in a low mumble making my eyes widen and pull hard on my heartstrings.

''I think it's me who does not deserve you, Soph. You'll realize this soon''

I lean forward and kiss her softly on the lips.

''Now go get that pretty ass of yours ready to go and kill it in court. I'm free for the whole day, so I'm going to head downstairs and make you a coffee and some breakfast and then drop you off. Then when you're finished in there, you call me and I'll be over to collect you afterward''

''Sounds good, babe. I won't be long''

With one final kiss, she hops off the bed and heads into our walk-in wardrobe to get herself ready to rock it in court. I wish I could be there to see her in action. Maybe another time, but this is one she needs to do on her own.

*****

''Okay, baby. Here we are. Keep the head up high, show no fear at all and go in there and fucking smash it. I'll be waiting for you when you come out'' I smile at her as we pull up outside the courthouse just before 9.30.

The court case is due to kick off at 10, but Sophie wanted to get here a little early to go through her pre-trial routine as she calls it. Just to get her documents out on the table and get sorted before the judge comes in.

''You promise you'll be here if I need you?'' she asks me with slight worry lacing her words as they fall from her lips.

''My phone will never leave my hand, Sophie. That I can promise you''

Nodding her head, she undoes her seatbelt before leaning over and giving me one more kiss before leaving the car.

''Smash it and remember that I love you!''

''Love you too, baby''

The door closes and I watch her until she ascends the steps to The City of London Magistrate's Court here in central London. She turns around just as she gets to the door and I give her a big thumbs up and blow a kiss to her before she smiles one last time and disappears behind the door and into the building.