Chapter 2

I check myself one more time in the mirror before heading downstairs. I've gone for the 'classic Barlow' look as it's now been called in the media; black chinos, burgundy t-shirt and a smart black blazer. Simple, but classy. Elegant I like to think of it. Running the palm of my hand along my facial hair, I hum away to myself.

''Might need to give you a trim soon..'' I mumble to myself, as I grab my coat and pop it on before disconnecting my phone from the charger, grab my wallet and head downstairs to where James is waiting.

''Ready, mate?'' I ask him, as he admires some of the awards and plaques that fill up the walls of the hallway here in my house.

''As always, Mr. B'' he winks at me as we head down the front drive of my house here in London and off to the bar around the corner.

*****

''Another one, mate?'' James asks me as I sip down the last dregs of my double JD and Coke.

''Yeah, go on then. I have the morning off pretty much, so I might as well relax and enjoy myself. I have a light training with Steve but that's about it'' I say to him as I pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time.

'Why don't you just get a nice watch Barlow?!' I chuckle at myself inside my head which brings a childish grin to my face.

I look up to see if James needs any assistance with the drinks when I see him handing over the money. My eyes widen, but it's not the payment that is the cause of this. He just happens to be standing next to, what I must admit, is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my entire life. My mouth drops open ever so slightly but I realize that I'm in public so it immediately closes again. I see her lean in towards James as if they're whispering something before she flips her hair and we lock eyes. Wow! She has piercing blue eyes that even from this far away are just mesmerizing. She flashes me a dazzling white smile and for the first time in my 'non-working' life, I think I am absolutely gobsmacked.

My heart sinks ever so slightly as I see her turn back to her friends and continue on their conversation as if nothing ever happened. She takes her drink from the counter, heads towards the stairs and disappears upstairs into another part of the bar. This place is pretty busy tonight so I'll never find her.

'Damn it, Barlow! You should have gone over to her!' I curse at myself as James arrives at the table with drinks in hand.

''Here you go, mate. Double JD & Coke for the boss''

''Eh up! Less of that, mate! We're here for a boys night out. No work business, ok?'' all he does is wink and smirk at me in response.

''Who was that girl you were talking to at the bar?'' I say to James after a while of talking about football and arranging to go to the Liverpool v QPR match at the weekend.

James is, like me and for our sins, a fellow Liverpool fan. I don't know how he is as he grew up in London but I can't speak as I am a Manchester boy but love the pool myself.

''Ah, her. Yeah, I think it started by saying she recognized me from Twitter as your security. She didn't know you were here until I mentioned it'' he pauses as if expecting me to give out to him for telling her I was here, but I honestly am thankful he did because she is amazing.

She's gorgeous but the only thing is now that I'll probably never see her again, as I'll never find her in here, especially since they just opened up the third floor which is where they have a night club. 

''She just wondered if you were here also, as I had the two drinks placed down in front of me and I said you were as she was stunning and I just thought that...well you know..maybe..'' he trails off embarrassed at mentioning that he was trying to help me get a girl.

Bless him!

''Thanks but I think I'm over the one night stands now, mate. Being my age now, I don't think it looks right. Comes off like 'arrogant pop star' you know?'' I say to him.

I intentionally don't mention the fact that she was absolutely beautiful and I'm gutted I didn't get to meet her properly and maybe get to know her a little bit. After a while, I check my phone to see what time it is. My vision is a touch blurry, not surprised really when you look at the table full of glasses in front of us; shot glasses, pints and champagne flutes little the table we have in the corner here in The Phene in Chelsea.

01.34

Woah, it's late. I need to get to bed soon if I'm to get up for my run with my trainer in the morning. Don't want Grumpy Gaz to be making an appearance now, do we? I grab my coat from the cloakroom as I wait for James to return from the bathroom. I send him a quick, albeit, almost illegible text message due to my slightly inebriated state saying that I will meet him outside before we walk back home. 

I walk through the door and out into the courtyard that is still alive with party people and night lights which makes the winter season come alive in London.

Just as I do up the zip of my coat, I spot her. Her. The girl I haven't been able to get out of my mind for the past 4 hours. I see her getting into a taxi with her friends down the street. I rush towards the main road just as the door shuts and the taxi takes off down the road. She's gone, and I'll never ever see her again.