Chapter 39

Luna

I felt like I was waiting forever before Brett walked back into the room. I could tell the second he reappeared that something was wrong. His entire deminer had changed. He was stiffer, and his hands were balled into fists. What was most worrying was he would not make eye contact with me.

"Whats wrong Brett?" I asked him as I sat there looking up at him.

He did not answer instead he just sat down across from me. Something I had seen before, this was how all interrogations start.

"Brett, what did he say to you?" I asked him hoping this time I would get an answer.

"He didn't say anything, he showed me a tape." He said when he finally answered me.

"What was on the tapes?" I asked having a feeling I was not going to like his answer.

"Why don't you tell me how you know Vladimir and Anatoly Ranskahov?" He asked and it took every ounce of self-control I had not to react to his question.

"Who?" I asked in response as I tried to fake like I had no idea who he was talking about.

"Don't, don't do that. Don't lie to me. I know you know them. Another officer has you on tape meeting with both brothers." He told me.

"What tape?" I asked truly having no idea what he was talking about.

"Really that's how you're going to play this? Fine, stay here." He said as he got up and stormed out of the room.

Once the door shut behind him I pulled out my phone and quickly deleted the texts from earlier today. As quick as he got up and left Brett came back in the room this time carrying a laptop and thumb drive. He sat down across from me and opened up the laptop, then turned it around so I could see what he was looking at. It was that day I went to visit Vlad at his bar. It was of us talking. You could see me clear as day trying to flurt information out of him. I could also see the arm of the man who was warring the camera. It must be on his chest, like a button or something. He was playing cards with some other men but positioned his body perfectly so he could record everything Vlad was doing.

"That's not all." He said as he opened another file.

This one was of Anatoly and I hugging outside of the garage.

"Are you still going to tell me you don't know the Russians?" He asked me.

I looked up from the computer to him and he was visibly upset as he tried to contain himself by biting his lower lip.

"Am I under arrest?" I asked him.

"No, but I can't help you if you won't answer my questions. How do you know the Russians?" He asked again.

"Am I being charged with anything?" I asked him.

"At the moment no, but Luna" He started but I cut him off.

"Well, then you have two options watch me walk out of here or call my lawyer," I told him as I started to grab my things.

"Which lawyer would that be Matt or your cousin. My cousin obviously." I answered.

"But it's not going to come to that because you have nothing to charge me with. All you have is two videos of me visiting old acquaintances." I told him.

"Your really going to do this? If you don't answer my questions it's going to put a huge target on your back." He warned me.

"Feel free to ask me all the questions you want with my lawyer present," I told him as I headed for the door.

"Enjoy the Chinese food," I told him as I walked out of the room.

As I headed out of the station I could not help but notice that blonde cop who pulled Brett out of the room staring at me. This was obviously his doing.