Chapter 30

Karen

"Did you look at it?" I asked Ben as we sat at the dinner sharing information over coffee.

"Yeah, I looked at it." He answered as he poured more sugar into his cup.

"And?" I asked him because he was taking to long as he sturred his sugar into his coffee.

"And...it's a story I've heard before. A company gets caught up in a scandal, files for bankruptcy, then quietly restructures under a new name." He answered.

"They killed Daniel Fisher. They tried to kill me." I reminded him annoyed that he would say this case was like many others.

"I'm still a little unclear on that point. You say they assaulted you in your apartment and a man in a black mask saved your life?" He asked me even though I had told him that that was exactly what happened.

"Yes but he just. He came out of nowhere." I told him again as I lowered my voice so no one else could hear what we were talking about.

"And you never saw him before?" He asked me.

"No," I told him truthfully.

"Stranger things right?" He replied.

"Well, what about Rance? Do you really believe that he just up and hung himself in jail? That guard tried to do the same thing to me. Why don't you ask him?" I said to him.

"Tamern? He's dead. Ate the barrel of his gun in his basement. And your old boss, McClintock? Overdosed on pills or some such. You seeing a pattern Miss. Page?" He asked me and I could not believe what I was hearing, they were seriously covering there tracks.

"Then why isn't anyone looking into this?" I asked him not believe no one else noticed that everyone connected to this scandal is dropping dead.

"You don't understand how lucky you are. Count the angles on the head of a pin, and move on." He told me but I don't know if I would ever be able to move on, I need to know who is trying to kill me.

"So they just shuffle some papers and all this disappears?" I asked him.

"Wouldn't be the first time." He said then took a sip of his coffee as if my life did not matter to him.

"Oh, don't bullshit me. A construction company is a brick and mortar, literally. All right, you cannot just shift cranes and trailers and office equipment like you can number on a page. There has to be a trail if everything is being liquidated." I told him not understanding how he could be giving up so easily.

"Thanks for the coffee." He said as he finished his cup then got up to leave.

"What? So that's it?" I asked him.

"Stories like this are built on sources, Miss Page. Credible sources. I did some digging into your uhh...past activities." He said instantly making me nervous.

"Well, I did some digging too. I read every big story with your byline. The VA Kickbacks, Toxic runoff, The Teachers Union Scandal. Hell, you pretty much brought down the Italian Mob back when I was in diapers. Whatever happened to that reporter, Mr. Urich?" I asked him.

He stood a little straighter as if he was insulted by what I was saying to him even though it was true.

"He got old. And a hell of a lot less stupid." He answered before walking out of the dinner leaving me alone with my thoughts.