Chapter 44

Foggy

Karen and I were in the office when a little old lady walked into the office.

"Excuse me... is this, um...senior Foggy Law?" She asked in broken English.

"Yes, I'm Foggy," I answered her.

"Bess Mahoney sent me...she said senior Foggy would help." She responded.

"Bess Mahoney? Brett's mom?" I asked her not sure if I had heard her correctly.

"Si, she refer me. My names Mrs. Cardenas," she answered before going on to say something in Spanish that I could not understand.

"Something about cigars," Karen said to me as he looked very confused by what the lady had said.

"You speak Spanish?" I asked Karen not aware that she would speak another langue.

"Oh, just what I remember from school." She told me.

"Mrs. Cardenas, tell us what happened," I told her.

"Mi casa es rent-control. But the landlord, senior Tully." She started to tell us but I cut her off before she could finish.

"Armand Tully? Sleazebag owns buildings all over town?" I asked her just to be sure we were on the same page.

"Si, senior Tully." She answered before talking in Spanish again.

"He wants to convert the apartments to condominiums. And he wants them out." Karen went on to interpret for me as Mrs. Cardenas continued to speak in Spanish.

"And they destroyed the apartment with..." Karen said but then stopped as if she was having a hard time. "I don't know the last word." She told me.

"Sledgehammer," Matt said as he walked into the office.

"College," I told Karen who looked at me surprised that Matt would know the word she did not. "You ever have a client that wants to chat in Punjabi, I'm your man," I told her.

"Do you want to do this?" Karen asked Matt.

"No, no. I like listening to your voice." He told her and I could not help but roll my eyes at the word vomit that just spilled from his lips.

"Go on Mrs. Cardenas," I told her.

"There is damage, en today parties. Everywhere." She finished.

"They have no working heat or power. They don't have water or electricity for days." Karen told me.

"We called police. We speak to the officer." Mrs. Cardenas started.

"The police couldn't help." Karen finished for her.

"Police say, "it's a city issue." Mrs. Cardenas went on to say.

"They don't know what to do," Karen told me.

"This says Tully offered them 10,000 to give up their rent control and vacate the premises," I told Matt as I looked over the paperwork Mrs. Cardenas had handed me.

I watched as Karen handed her a tissue she was truly really kind.

"Maye we can pressure him into giving a better buy out," I told her.

"No, Senior Foggy. We do not want money. We want to stay in our homes." She quickly answered.

"Mrs. Cardenas," Matt said but then started speaking in Spanish so I had no idea what he was telling her.

Whatever it was she seemed very happy about it.

"Thank you." She said to him happily as she got up and walked out of the office.

"I heard you say my name when you say my name?" I asked him once she was gone.

"I told her, you're going to talk to Tully's lawyer." He answered.

"Tully's lawyer? Do you know who reps his?" I asked him really hoping I did not have to do that.

He chuckled in response to what I had asked him.

"Yeah, I know." He answered.

"Landman and Zack!" I told him just in case he had lost his mind. "Landman and mother-freaken Zach man!"

"Sounds impressive. Are they looking for help?" Karen asked us.

"You won't be happy. We used to intern there." Matt told her.

"Oh right," Karen said as if she had forgotten that was the horrible place where we would have made a lot of money. The place we were crazy to left.

"And they offered us a job, a great job. Which we turned down to go off and save the world. Now they hate us. We'll need to load for bear if we're gonna take them on." I told the two of them.

"I'll hit the present to check for complaints against Tully," Matt told me and I almost choked on the air I was breathing.

"I cant go to L and Z by myself. There gonna shark attack me. Matt looks at me. I'm delicious." I pleaded with Matt.

"Well take Karen," Matt answered.

"I mean yeah, if she wants," I said to Karen hoping she would come with me.

"Sure, never seen sharks eat up close before." She joked with me.

Matt again chuckled at her words.

"Try not to splash too much. It attracts them." Matt said as he taunted me.

"You both are so funny," I told the two of them as I got up and gathered my things.