Chapter 84

Matt's POV

The next morning, I finally talked Luna into leaving. I think she had planned to live on my couch for the next few days. I did not get much time to relax because about an hour later there was a knock on my door.

"Matt, its Karen! Come on, open the door. I can't get a hold of Foggy and there's nobody at the office. What the hell is going on?" She asked threw the door. "Matt." She said as she knocked again.

I knew she was not going to leave anytime soon so I forced myself out of my bed and over to the door to let her in.

"Oh my god." She said the second her eyes landed on me. "You look like shit." She said as I closed the door.

"Then I look better then I feel." I responded.

"How is Luna? She's not answering." She asked me.

"She's fine, barley a scratch on her." I told her.

"Are we gonna sue? We should sue. You know, whoever hit you, we should go after them what kind of car was it? Please tell me it was expensive and German." She said to me.

"Japanese and it was my fault." I told her.

"How I thought Luna was driving?" She asked.

"That's what I meant it was our fault. I distracted her." I said trying to fix the lie.

"What the hell happened in here?" She asked as she looked around at my destroyed apartment.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." I told her.

"Oh, okay I'll just, uh..." She said as she looked around the place.

I walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of beer.

"Little early for a beer isn't it?" She asked me.

"Depends on the day you're having. You, uh...you want one?" I asked her.

"Uh, no. No thanks. So where were you..." She asked.

"Uh, does it matter?" I asked back as I sat on my kitchen table.

"I'm thinking it might if there really was a car." She told me.

"Karen." I said hopping she would just stop all the questions.

"Does this have anything to do with Fisk? With your going to see that Venessa woman?" She asked she really was to smart for her own good.

"I told you it was my fault. Lets just leave it at that okay." I told her.

"No, no, not okay. Definitely not okay. Look at you. Did somebody break in?" She asked.

"No one broke in." I answered her.

"And no one beat the crap out of you either, I'm guessing." She told me surprising me that she would just straight up ask.

I did not know how to answer her, so I just continued to drink my beer.

"If I ask Luna will she tell me what really happened?" She asked me. "Do you remember the last time I was here?"

"Yeah I remember." I answered her.

"I was scared, terrified but you gave me your shirt. You maid me feel like I could trust everything that you said." She told me.

"And you lied to me." I reminded her. "About having the Union Allied pension file."

"I didn't want anything to get hurt. Like Daniel Fisher, because of what I was doing!" She yelled at me.

"Yeah I know the feeling." I responded.

"So that's it. That's all you're giving me." She said.

"That's all that I have right now Karen." I told her as I stood up.

"Well it's not all I have. I found something. Just a scrap of paper at the county clerk's office...misfiled. It's probably why Fisk didn't get sucked into a black hole." She told me.

"What was it?" I asked her.

"A marriage certificate, for his mother, Marlene." She told me.

"How does that help us?" I asked her.

"Because its not to his father. Its for when she remarried. Which was two years after all the reports say she died." She told me.

"She's still alive?" I asked her.

"Yeah, she's living at a care facility upstate. Ben and I took a drive." She started to tell me.

"Oh, Karen, Karen, Fisk could have been watching." I told her instantly becoming worried that she had just put a target on her back.

"I know. I didn't use my real name." She told me as if that would keep her safe.

"You should have talked to me or Foggy before you ran off like that." I told her.

"I tried but you weren't picking up." She snapped back.

"Did you speak to her, Frisks mother?" I asked her.

"Yes. She's not all there but Matt what she said about Fisk. He killed his father. When he was twelve. Bashed his head in with a hammer, and then she helped him cover it up." She told me.

"Well, he was a minor. Its not gonna be enough." I told her.

"To put him in jail, no. but it doesn't line up with everything that Fisk has ben saying. Everything that he has altered on the internet and at the county clerks. It might be enough to at least get people looking at him more closely." She said excitedly as if she believed this was enough to stop him for good.

"From an old woman who's not all there." I reminded her.

"We'll I'm not hearing you or Foggy coming up with anything better." She snapped at me.

"Did you.... did you speak to him...to Foggy?" I asked her to wonder if he had told her anything else about last night.

"Not sense yesterday on the phone when I hues he was covering for whatever it is you're not telling me." She answered.

"All right, go to the office and...wait for him. Tell him what you found, and Karen, tell him that I said..." I started but then decided against it. "No, don't bother. Just tell him what you found. Karen, and be carful please." I told her.

She reached out and touched my face softly.

"You know maybe you should take your own advice. I...I got you a...its um...a balloon. I...its got a monkey on it." She told me as she placed it in my hand before leaving to go find Foggy.