Chapter 93

Matt

I had been at the gym for a few hours now. Hitting the punching bag over and over again, trying to get out some of the rage that filled me. It was not working, and that's why I was still here three hours later. I only stopped when I heard someone walking into the gym. I listened, and it only took me a few seconds more to realize it was Foggy.

"How'd you know I was here?" I asked him.

"Known about your outlet for a while. I didn't say anything because I thought it had something to do with your dad. Now I know better." He answered me, causing me to grind my teeth and punch the bag a few more times.

"Thought you'd be punching people in the head, or whatever you do." He told me.

"I was," I told him.

"Paid Ben's editor a visit?" He asked.

"Yeah," I answered him as I kept punching the bag.

"Karen thins he's working for Fisk," I responded.

"Did he talk?" Foggy asked.

"No, never got close. Wide and kid picked him up outside the office. Try it again tomorrow night." I told him as I punched the bag three more times.

"Wheres Luna?" He asked as he looked around the gym.

I could not tell if he was disappointed or happy that she was not here with me.

"Don't know," I answered truthfully.

Sence the howl disaster with the Russians the two of us have been drifting apart. I want justice; she wants revenge. For the first time in our entire relationship, we were on opposite sides. She was one of the reasons I was so upset. I did not know how to fix the rift that had formed between us.

"Looking like you have some anger issues. Wanna talk about it?" He asked, and I hated the worry that was laced in his voice.

"Your, not my protest, Foggy...who you might have met if you shown up for Ben's funeral." I snapped at him as I just realized I was also mad at him for not showing.

"Karen upset?" He asked as he looked down to his feet.

"I told her this was my fault...all of this between you and me," I answered him.

"I just nodded, you could tell that, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, I could tell," I answered him.

"I was on my way to the service, and I got a call...from Marci." He told him, grabbing my attention.

"Marci?" I asked him.

"She's been helping me. Copying files from Landman and Zach on the quite. Whole stack of documents on their dealings with Fisk, and Wesley at Silver and Brent." He told me causing me to get so mad I punched the Matt on the nearby ring.

"Ben is dead Foggy because he got dragged into this. And now you're doing the same with your ex." I reminded him.

"We're being careful." He responded.

"This has to stop. Fisk has to...I have to stop this." I told him as I pulled on my jacket.

"We have to stop this." Luna's voice came from the doorway.

"What have you been up to? Dealing out vigilantly justice I see." Foggy joked with her.

"You went out without me?" I asked her feeling a combination of hurt and worried that she went out without me.

"Please, Matt, I can handle myself." She told me. "I found something."

"Guys...Guys! Last time you went after Fisk I found you half dead!" Foggy yelled at the two of us. "More than half. You go after him in the mask again, he might kill you. Or you might kill him, which would probably have the same effect on someone as Catholic as you." Foggy said to me.

"I'm not Catholic." Luna interrupted again reminded us she had no problem killing Fisk.

"Luna, this is not a joke!" Foggy snapped at her.

"What are we supposed to do? How di u stop him?" I asked Foggy.

"By using the law. Like you told me and Karen to do. That's how we take him down." Foggy answered.

"We? I thought Nelson and Murdock were over?" I asked him.

"There's nothing I want more than to find a way back to where we were, but...I don't know if we can." Foggy answered.

"As much as I want the two of you to talk this out we really don't have time for this. Matt, we have to go." Luna interrupted the two of us.

"No, we cant. But maybe we can find a way to move forward, Foggy." I told him, ignoring what Luna had just said.

I had to fix things with Foggy. I had could not let our friendship fall apart like Lunas and mine where.

"It like I'm not even here." She snapped at the two of us.

"What is so important?" I asked her.

"Okay, don't be mad." She said which instantly made my stomach flip.

"No promises," I responded.

"Okay well, as you know I went out without you tonight. I went looking for Fisk." She answered.

"Why?" Foggy asked.

"I was going to end it." She answered him.

"You mean, you were going to kill him." I corrected her.

"Same difference." She responded. "I found Leland, and I followed him until he led me to Fisk. The two of them were talking in an ally. I thought great Ill kill two birds with one stone, but then I heard what they were talking about. I thought crap I can't kill him know I need to tell Matt." She continued to ramble on.

"Tell me what?" I asked her.

"There's a way, a way to get him almost legally." She answered.

"Meaning?" I asked her again.

"Hoffman, Hoffman is alive. Leland has him hidden somewhere. Fisk is on the war path to find him. We need to find him first." She told me.

There were so many things. I wanted to say to her. Mostly I wanted to hug her and say thank you for at least trying, trying to do things my way. I know its hard for her. I know she feels like she needs revenge. Like she needs to make things right for the Russians, which I will never understand how she could fall for someone like them. That's not what matters now, what matters now is shes here. Willing to do things my way, trying to fix what had broken between us.

"Let's go." I ended up saying as I grabbed my gym bag and headed out of the gym.

We had to get back to my place so I could change and figure out where Hoffman could be hiding. That's what I told myself. Why I could not tell her how much I appreciate her being here. This time the roles where reversed, this time, I was the one running away from my real problems and running towards an entirely different set of them.