Chapter 42

Luna

"Hey, Claire," I said as I walked into Matt place to find her there.

She was sitting on his couch drinking a cup of coffee, wearing one of Matts favorite shirts.

"Hey, Luna." She answered as she stood up to greet me.

"Making your self at home?" I asked her with a slight smirk that caused her to smile a little as she looked down at her cup.

"Yeah I guess, Matt has been so nice to let me stay here." She answered.

"Is Matt here, I actually came to talk to him," I told her.

"No, he left for work not to long ago." She answered as she walked around the couch and over to the sink where she placed her cup.

"So how are you doing?" I asked her.

"I'm fine, dealing you know." She answered but I could tell she was not okay.

Her body might be healing but emotionally she was not okay in the slightest.

"Are you okay?" She asked which threw me a little off guard.

I was not sure how to answer, I was not okay. Not at all, but I could not tell her that. I could not tell her I was heartbroken because one of the men who ordered her kidnapping had died. No, not died, he had been killed and whoever did it framed Matt for it. And now Vlad wanted Matts head in return.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied to her and for some reason, I do not like the way it felt.

I have lied to almost everyone for as long as I can remember and never thought much about it but for some reason lying to Claire who is just the kindest person in the entire world felt wrong.

"You don't look fine, you look like you have a war going on in your head." She said to me, I could not help but smile a little.

She was really observant.

"There's just a lot going on," I answered her knowing I needed to give her some sort of answer.

"Its okay if you don't want to talk about it you don't have to." She responded.

"How is it your trying to comfort me after what happened to you?" I asked her.

"You saved me, the least I can do is let you vent." She said as she sat back down and motioned for me to sit next to her.

I took the seat next to her and tried to think about how I could tell her the truth but lie at the same time.

"So whats going on?" She asked again.

"It's a lot of things. Everything that's going on with Matt and the Russians. I am worried he's going to get hurt. I'm worried that they will come after you or my other friends. On top of all this craziness, I found out a few hours ago an old friend has died." I told her trying to be as vague as possible.

"I'm so sorry. Where you close?" She asked.

"We were once, we had a falling out a few years back," I told her. "It's no big deal we haven't talked in years," I said trying to make myself feel better about feeling bad that he was dead.

"Sometimes it hurts, even more, when it ends suddenly and you don't get a chance to set things right." She said obviously catching on that I felt guilty about something and trying to make me feel better.

I could not help but think of my parents. They died in the incident and I had never got a chance to make it right with them either. I could not help but wonder if maybe it was me. I had pushed all three of them away. Pushed them away for so long, until it was too late to say I was sorry. To say goodbye.

"I really shouldn't be upset, he wasn't a good guy," I told her as one stray tear spilled from my right eye and fell down my cheek.

"Well...if you cared for him I'm sure there was good in there somewhere." She responded.

I had to hold back the cry that was building in my throat.

"Enough about my problems. WHats going on with you and Matt?" I asked her.

"Nothing." She answered her cheeks blushed slightly.

"Nothing, you're basically living together." I reminded her.

"He's just being nice." She answered.

"Fine don't tell me. But I know Matt, and he likes you. I have known him my entire life and he's crazy about you." I told her truthfully.

She did not answer but she smiled as she tried to look away so I would not notice.

"The two of you... I know you say you aren't involved but were you ever?" She asked the same question I get asked everytime someone new meets the two of us.

"No, never. He's too good of a man for me." I joked with her. "He's all yours, you don't need to worry about me," I informed her.

"I should get going," I said after a few seconds of pause, as I needed to get back to the real world, and all of its problems.