Chapter Six (F+G)

*Chris’s point of view*

Haley and Jadyn had fights Saturday night, and I was going to support Jadyn while Nathan and Dylan went for Haley.

I was dressed similarly to the way I’d dressed for last night’s fight; dark green shorts, a gray tank top, black sneakers and a black hoodie.

We were walking to the rings, just stepping through the doors that opened up to them, when I saw the Prowler standing somewhere off near Jadyn’s ring. Growling to myself, I walked with Jadyn over towards his ring, my eyes looking everywhere except at the Prowler.

Jadyn was right; I didn’t need to worry about him.

Jadyn grinned at me, throwing practice punches while he waited for his opponent to arrive. His grin grew even bigger when he looked around and saw the Prowler coming towards us.

Stopping in front of us, he gave us a subtle hello; I just stared at him before giving a very quiet welcome.

“You’re not fighting tonight?” he asked me. “Not tonight,” I answered. Jadyn’s opponent, Iodine, stepped into the ring at that moment, and he ducked under the ropes.

“Jackhammer,” I called; he looked back at me. “Knock him dead.” Grinning ear to ear, he answered, “You can bet your life I’ll try.” I smiled to myself at his cockiness.

There was silence between the Prowler and I, but everything around us was loud.

I cheered as Jadyn hit his opponent with an uppercut, followed by a kick. “I know you’re different,” he said to me, “Girls aren’t supposed to compete.” Outside I kept my composure, but inside I was ice.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I answered, still cheering Jadyn on. He kept talking but I was ignoring everything he said.

Iodine got Jadyn staggering with a head kick and a series of punches to the stomach, but Jadyn recovered fast enough to evade the next kick, grabbing his leg and twisting him in a different direction.

Iodine fell backwards, his feet unbalanced under him, and grabbed both of Jadyn’s wrists, pulling him on top of him and throwing him backwards, over his body.

Jadyn landed hard, but he got back up and, when the fight was over, he was still standing.

“Jackhammer wins!” Came the announcement; everyone cheered. When Jadyn joined me next to the rings, the Prowler had disappeared. Apparently he’d left in the middle of the fight while I’d been ignoring him.

We worked through the crowd, getting to the other ring in time to see Haley drop to the ground; her opponent beat her.

She came out of the ring aggravated with herself but we soothed her by pointing out the flaws in her opponent; or, at least, that’s what Nathan and Dylan did, seeing as Jadyn and I had been busy.