Chapter Nine (J)

*Chris’s point of view*

Wednesday, Jadyn and Dylan were back in the ring.

Climbing into the van, we headed towards school while Nathan and Jadyn talked fighting style; Dylan was in the back with me and Haley had a different way to get to school this morning.

“I know you were in my room,” he whispered to me; I blushed slightly.

I had gone in his room early this morning, before he woke up, to borrow his eyeliner again; the gothic look was nice on me. I tuned it down a little. No black lipstick, no black eye-shadow, no choker.

I’d also paused in the door way to watch him sleep. He looked angelic when he slept. “How did you know?” I grinned.

He reached in my pocket and pulled out the black eyeliner.

“I saw you putting it on in the bathroom earlier,” he grinned back and we started laughing.

“It works on you though,” he commented quietly; I almost didn’t hear him. I don’t think I was supposed to hear him.

“I like the look,” I said defensively; he chuckled.

“In that case, how about I take you shopping tomorrow to perfect the look?” he asked; I agreed.

Hopping out of the car in my black-purple shorts and my black tank-top, I headed for my locker. “See you in class,” I called to Dylan. He stayed behind to talk strategy for his fight later.

Rounding the corner, I saw some one leaning against my locker. Lucky me; it was Tyler.

Spinning on my heel like it was natural for me to go the opposite way, I headed straight for first period. Unfortunately, he followed.

“So,” he said, “I hear Conartist is fighting in the ring tomorrow. Are you ready?” I ignored him and focused on walking to class so I wouldn’t lose my head.

“What fighting technique are you going to use?” he tried again; again, I didn’t answer.

The next thing he said got my attention. “It sure would be terrible for it to leak out that Conartist was a girl,” he said quietly. I whirled on him.

“What do you want?” I asked him, anger seething in my voice.

“Oh, you mean you admit to it?” he asked, faking surprise. It took nearly all my control not to hit him.

I got up in his face.

“Listen Rikson, I am a street fighter, and I don’t take crap. I don’t know how you found out or why you even care, but I do know one thing. I’ll do whatever you want to keep you quiet, but if this leaks out, your ass is mine. Is that clear?” I asked dangerously.

He leaned down so our lips were no more than an inch apart. “Crystal,” he answered, “And I’ll have something for you to do for me, don’t worry.”

“Oh? And what might that be?” I inquired, still too close to him. “I’ll let you know,” he said, turning and walking off to his class.

I muttered under my breath until I sat down in my chair. Should I tell Dylan? He leaned over and asked me what had me aggravated; I lied to him.

“I slipped in the hallway and fell on my ass,” I told him; he laughed silently and I cracked a smile.

No, I wouldn’t tell him.

It was ring time for Dylan and Jadyn.

Shoving through the crowd, I stood on the edge of the ring as Dylan climbed through the ropes and stood on his side.

His opponent, Lightfoot, was shifting his weight side to side, eyeing him.

When the fight started, Darkedge had the upper hand.

He came in swiftly with a jab, following it with a semi-circular kick; Lightfoot stumbled quickly out of his range.

The next time Dylan tried the jab, Lightfoot was ready; he knocked Dylan’s fist to the side with his forearm and came in with his own jab. He was a quick learner.

Dancing back to his side of the ring, Lightfoot came back in with a hit to Dylan’s stomach and a knee to his side.

Dylan came back with a series of blows that unarmed Lightfoot, but he recovered fast enough to take the victory.

With two hits to the chest and a kick to the back of the knees, Dylan was down and Lightfoot won.

I pulled Dylan out of the ring and he was breathing heavy from the blows he took to his stomach.

“Are you okay?” I asked anxiously. He nodded hesitantly.

He leaned on me slightly on our way to Jadyn’s ring; he was still fighting.

Getting the keys from Nathan, I took Dylan back to the van. He lay in a back seat and lifted up his shirt.

A faint, purple shadow outlined the right side of his belly, promising a bruise.

“Well,” he said gruffly, “Next time I’m going to disable the bastard with my elbow in his stomach.”

He laughed at his joke, and I smiled.

Haley, Jadyn and Nathan joined us shortly. Jadyn’s face told us that he’d lost.

Back at Nathan’s place, we all started up card games to pass the time until Angels and Demons came on around twelve thirty.

Popping popcorn, I pulled a bowl out of the cabinet and filled it up, bringing it back to the living room.

When the movie started, all of us quieted down and I fell asleep halfway through.