Chapter Forty Nine (XX)

Updating sooner than I planned!

*Chris’s Point of View*

I caught him as he fell and tried to lower him to the ground as easily as I could while still keeping it from hurting him.

“Jadyn,” I said, my voice thick with panic.

I glanced up for just a second and felt a small sense of relief; Jadyn was already taking Jake away from the blood and the scene.

Nathan and Dylan were already heading for Roary, who seemed in shock that he had missed me.

My hands found his side and I felt the panic rising when his eyes were closed- I almost started screaming before I saw that his jaw was clenched.

He was conscious.

“Seth, stay with us,” I told him. He grunted and grabbed the hand I had on his side. I thought he was going to pull it off, but he only pressed it harder to the wound.

“I’ve got the police on their way,” Conner said over my shoulder, “Hold on a little longer.”

He twitched and when his eyes opened, there was anger very clear in them.

“Stupid bastard,” he managed, trying to smile. He grimaced again and grit his teeth.

*Seth’s Point of View*

To say it hurt would be an understatement. The small phrase I’d managed made it hurt worse- how that was even possible, I didn’t know.

I felt like someone took a crowbar and lodged it in my stomach.

Then again, I guess a bullet was pretty much liable to feel the same.

I heard another gun shot and panic overtook me as Chris let a small scream slip between her lips before she pressed them together so hard they looked like they would shatter.

She winced and jerked, pain covering all the emotions I’d seen before. Her hand didn’t leave my side as she twisted around as if to face off someone to her right.

“I’ll kill you!” I heard someone roar.

“Chris?” Haley was beside her in a second and she turned back to me.

“Fine,” she answered, holding her breath. Was she hit?

My hand tightened over hers and I could hear her talking to me.

“Ssh,” she said, “They’re almost here, they’ll help. It won’t hurt much longer.”

I opened one eye just barely to look at her and her eyes were the most unguarded I’ve ever seen.