Chapter Thirty Eight (MM)

*Chris’s Point of View*

I woke up with my heart flying.

Another nightmare.

Closing my eyes, I relapsed through my thoughts.

We brought Ironarm the money and he had taken it from me, signaling his men.

They had shot everyone down except me, left us there with everybody dying. I didn’t know what to do. My cell phone was gone. I tried to run to Dylan, but chains weighed down my arms. I watched them die.

I opened my eyes again and reached for the knife on the bed stand.

A firm hand wrapped around my upper arm. “Don’t do it,” Dylan murmured.

My heart almost stopped. I’d forgotten Dylan was sleeping in my bed.

I collapsed back on the bed, curling up against him. “What happened, love?” he murmured. That simple sign of affection made me feel almost better.

*Dylan’s Point of View*

I listened to her patiently, rubbing her back as she cried into my chest.

“Sssh, Chris, you’re okay, nothing’s going to happen,” I murmured, pulling her chin up so I could look into her eyes.

The tears were almost gone.

I was torn between kissing her and touching her cheek when she brought her lips to mine, urgent and wanting.

I tried to be careful with her. I kissed her back, gently, not rough, but she persisted in doing more than just kissing.

I ended up on top of her, pressing her into the bed as her hands went up my chest.

“Chris,” I groaned. Her lips went to my neck instead, her fingers still tracing patterns in my upper body. She didn’t say anything.

“Chris,” I murmured, “Go back to sleep.” “I don’t want to sleep, I want to be with you,” she answered.

“We’re not doing anything tonight,” I told her, pinning her hands above her head.

“I’m not talking about sex,” she told me, pouting slightly, “I just want to feel close.”

“This,” I told her, pressing my body down on hers, “Is very close.”

She rolled her eyes but nipped my neck and relaxed underneath me.

“Fine,” she sighed, content where she was lying. I smiled. She wanted me.

It was a good fifteen minutes before she fell back asleep, with me curled up beside her.