Chapter 2: Beware for the curfew

Lily's POV

I arrived at Avan's place and placed my bike right next to his, leaning against his house. I then walked to the front door and knocked.

I waited for a bit before the door opened, revealing aunt Susan. "Well hello Lily, come in."

I smiled as I entered the house. I immediately took off my coat, which aunt Susan took and put away for me.

"What brought you here?"

"Well I'm here for Avan," I then saw uncle Bill appear behind aunt Susan. "Is he here?"

"Of course," uncle Bill responded. "We won't let him leave after curfew." He wrapped his arms around his wife's waist. "I'm surprised John let you go, it's almost curfew."

"I know," I sighed. "But I needed some escape from the house." I looked upstairs. "May I?" I referred to the stairs.

"Of course." They both smiled at me as I made my way up the stairs.

I walked through their upstairs area, and for some odd reason, I memorized all the possible exists. I blame my dad for that. I do that in every building I enter. Find all the exists so you can leave in case of emergency, he'd say. And he's right.

I arrived at Avan's room, but it was very quiet in there. I reached for the door, opening it. "Avan?" I gently looked inside the room, only to see him lying down on the bed, music blasting in his ears while his eyes were closed.

I smiled as I entered his room and closed the door. I then walked to his bed and sat down next to him, waking him up.

He pulled his earphones out of his ears and smiled. "Lily, hey."

"Hey."

He made room for me, which I used, and put his earphones away. "What brought you here?" He then looked at the clock on his nightstand. "It's almost curfew."

"I know," I sighed. I was kind of getting annoyed with curfew but I understood why our family had that. After grandma... "I just needed to get out of the house."

"What happened?" He immediately sounded worried. I guess he assumed something happened with dad, at his job. And he was right.

I sighed. "Dad got attacked. Again." I looked down, at my fingers. "I wonder..." I paused, observing how my fingers were fidgeting with one another. "I wonder if it's really worth it." I then looked up at Avan. "He gets hurt so often, what if one day he won't..."

"Don't say that. Uncle John's a beast, with a mission." Avan caressed my hands. "He'll be fine, he knows how to take care of himself."

"I guess."

Avan looked apologetic at me. "What else is wrong?"

I shrugged.

"Ok..." He must have gotten the hint I didn't want to talk about it anymore. "So, what else is new?"

"I'm still looking for a job." I looked up at him again. "Is your dad really not looking for someone right now? I really don't want to work with my dad."

"I'm sorry, Lily. Dad's fine, he has me." He then smiled proudly for a brief moment. Yes, he was happy he could help his dad in his dad's store. I however was jealous of his 'simple' job. "Besides, why don't you want to work with your dad? That sounds like an amazing offer."

"Then take it, I don't want it."

Avan raised his eyes. "Why not?"

I shrugged.

"Are you scared? Of them?" He then got up, looking outside. "Sometimes I wonder how it'd be to meet one."

I gulped. "You're crazy."

He let out a gentle chuckle. "Maybe," He paused as he was looking at the town. "But at least I'll have met one."

I shrugged. "Your death wish."

He turned to me, shocked by what I had said.

"You know I'm right."

He walked back to me, and sat down on his bed. "Maybe, but aren't you a bit curious?" He sighed. "I don't actually want to meet one, but... You know."

I nodded. "Yeah." Even though I disagreed. I guess my dad's influence got to me more than uncle Bill's influence got to Avan...

___________________________

"Are you sure you're going?" Avan asked as I prepared myself to leave. It was past curfew, but it was still bright outside, I felt like I could make it home. Besides, what are the odds I'd bump into them?

"Yeah," I then got up, I was finished getting ready. "I'll be fine."

"I hope so."

We walked downstairs, which immediately attracted uncle Bill's and aunt Susan's attention. They came to us, probably wondering what we were up to.

"What's happening here?" Uncle Bill asked as he looked from Avan to me, his eyes stopped on me. "You're late, it's past curfew."

"I know," I took my coat. "But I'll be fine."

Aunt Susan's eyes widened. "You're not going to leave, Lily, are you?" She then looked at her husband, asking for some kind of support, before looking back at me. "Why don't you stay here instead? We have an extra room."

Uncle Bill nodded. "I think it's best you stay, I'll call your parents."

"No," They all stopped dead in their tracks. "I want to go home. I'll be fine." I smiled reassuringly at them. "Trust me."

Uncle Bill walked to me, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I trust you, Lily." He said, making me smile. "But your father would kill me if anything would happen to you."

I sighed. "Fine," I dropped my coat. "I'll stay."

They nodded. "Good."

"I've made spaghetti for dinner." Aunt Susan hurried to the kitchen, probably getting her meal to the dining table.

Avan smiled at me before hurrying to the kitchen as well, he loved his mom's spaghetti.

And uncle Bill, he was on the phone, probably calling my dad. He wasn't really paying attention. And that gave me an easy few minutes to escape. Which I did.

I opened the door and left, despite everyone telling me not to. I just couldn't stay. Maybe Avan wasn't that crazy when he said he was curious. Because in some way I was curious as well. Maybe I didn't want to see one, just maybe I wanted to feel their presence. Or maybe... I don't know.

I took my bike and got on, riding away from their house immediately. I then looked in front of me, watching the environment.