Chapter 56: Help me, doc

Lily's POV

"And you're sure she's alright?"

"Absolutely," The doctor then looked at me. "I've found nothing that suggests she isn't."

Riley looked at me. She looked visibly worried. As soon as I started screaming, she called her doctor and he came immediately, despite it being almost midnight.

Riley then looked at the doctor. "But why did she scream then?"

"I'm guessing she had a nightmare," He closed his bag and started putting on his coat. "I wouldn't worry about it."

"Ok." Riley then led him out of the room, probably to the front door.

While she was gone, I sat up. I thought about what had just happened, and why it suddenly ended. One moment I was fine, then I started screaming, then I was fine again. Why?

Riley entered the room again and came straight to me. She sat down in front of me. "Are you ok?"

"I don't know," I looked back up at her. "I was in so much pain yet the doctor says it's nothing."

"Well thankfully it's over now," Riley then motioned me to lie down, which I did. She put the sheets over us. "Let's get some sleep, that'll help you as well."

I nodded and then closed my eyes. I decided to sleep on my back, since I didn't want a repetition of what happened before.

___________________________

"Hey," Riley said as I entered the kitchen in the morning. "How are you feeling?"

I sat down, immediately reaching for food. "I'm fine."

"Listen," Riley took my hands, preventing me to take my food. "I'll be at work, but if there's anything, I want you to call me." She said to which I nodded. "Promise me."

"I promise."

"Good," She then got up and walked to me, she kissed my cheek. "Stay safe."

"Always."

She smiled as she left to go to work, leaving me alone again. Leaving me to think about what had happened. I knew this wasn't anything, it had to be something. But what?

I took some food, and ate it. I ate and ate, and I loved it, I enjoyed it. It actually calmed my stomach, maybe I was getting the flu? I hope not, I hate getting sick.

After I was done eating, I decided to lie on the couch and take it easy today. And that went well. Until I had to rush to the toilet to throw up. But what I threw up shocked me the most.

After that I got up and left, I needed to know what was happening. I went to the doctor, the same one who 'helped' me during the night.

I entered and went straight to his office. "Excuse me, you can't just enter, you need to have an appointment."

I pushed him away, and he went flying. I stopped. What had just happened?

He got up and looked at me, a look of terror in his eyes. "Y-You're one of t-them... Please don't hurt me," He knelt in front of me, begging. "I have a family."

I looked at my hands, I knew something was wrong. I looked at him. "Please help me," I said to which he looked at me again, this time a look of wonder. "I'm a human, I swear. But something's happening to my body."

He slowly got up and walked towards me. "L-like what?"

"Last night I screamed because it felt like there were knives in my body, today I ate so much for breakfast and then I threw up and there was blood." I then started sniffling. "What is this? What's happening to me?"

He gulped. "I... I don't know..." He then took a book out of the bookshelf. "I... Uhm... I think you're changing."

"Changing?" I got closer and looked at what he was looking.

"Yes," He pointed to a text. "It matches the symptoms."

He was right, everything I was experiencing... All symptoms of me changing... Into one of them... I then looked at him. "Please help me."

"There's nothing I can do to stop the process." He then reached into his pocket and took out his phone. 

I looked at him, and suddenly knew what he wanted to do. "Please don't," I shook my head. "They'll kill me."

"I have no choice."

I took off running, to nowhere in particular. I ran around for a while, and it actually calmed me. I then sat down on a bench in the park, and thought what had happened to me. What am I supposed to do now? I'm changing, I'll become one of them. But why? And how? Well, Catherine bit me but the last time... I then thought it over, she did bite me, the morning I left her...

Around the evening, I went back to Riley's house and noticed her car in the driveway. I entered the house and saw her, alongside the other numbers.

"Lily!" Riley pulled me in for a hug. "Thank God, you're safe!"

"What happened?" Number 11 asked.

Riley let go of me so we all sat down. I looked down, fidgeting with my fingers. "When Riley left this morning, I threw up." I then looked at them. "I threw up blood."

They all seemed taken back by that.

"I was worried, so I went to the doctor, the one who was here last night," I said to which Riley nodded. "But when I told him what I was experiencing," I looked down, sniffling. "He told me I'm changing."

"Changing?" Suzy asked, even she sounded worried. And that meant a lot.

"Changing into one of them." I then looked up, seeing them all gasp. "I don't know why I'm changing, but I want it to stop."

"There's only one person who can do that," Number 10 said to which everyone else looked down. She leaned in closer to me. "Catherine."

I gulped. "I have to face her?"

She nodded. "Only she'll be able to help you."

I looked down, I didn't want to face Catherine. I know that when I do, it'll be a big drama for nothing.

"Listen," Riley started, taking a hold of my hand. "I can join you."

"She'll kill both of you then," Number 9 said to which the others nodded. "No, Lily should go alone." She then looked at me. "We can wait outside the building for you though."

I slowly nodded, realizing I had no other choice.