Chapter 21: Distractions

Lily's POV

When school ended, I waited for Avan at his locker. I knew he'd come by here before going home, but today I had other plans for him.

"Hey Lily." He smiled at me as he opened his locker, taking the stuff he needed. "Thanks for waiting for me."

"Of course," I smiled. "I thought that we could hang out together."

He raised his eyebrows. "Now?" He then looked at his watch. "We don't have much time though."

"Why not?" I checked my watch too. "We've got like 2 hours before curfew starts."

He chuckled. "I meant work."

"Oh..." I forgot about that... "Don't worry, we have time." I then took his hand and led him to our bikes. "Let's get out before going to work, ok?"

"Uhm sure."

And so we hopped on our bikes and rode through the streets. Avan was already peddling towards our houses, but I had other plans for him. And so I suddenly took a turn.

"Lily?" He stopped for a bit but then quickly peddled after me. He caught up with me easily, since I didn't try to lose him. "Where are we going?"

"Let's just take a detour." I smiled and looked back at the road. I felt Avan stare at me, he must wonder what I was doing. You'll thank me later, I thought.

Soon enough we arrived at the park, the place Mabel wanted me to drop Avan off. I got off my bike and smiled while looking around.

Avan got off his bike as well and walked to me. "What are we doing here?" He then looked around. "In the park?" He seemed confused and, if I didn't know what was going on, I wouldn't blame him for being confused.

"Just to hang out." I sat down on the grass. "Come on." I patted the spot next to me.

He hesitated for a bit but decided to sit down next to me, I guess he figured I wouldn't change my mind.

And now here we were, ready for Mabel. But I didn't know at what time she'd arrive. I'd have to make sure that Avan would stay here, but how? "Nice weather." Conversation always helps. If only I had a good subject...

Avan looked at me, his eyebrows raised. "Seriously? That's what we've come to?" He chuckled.

I chuckled too, realizing this sounded indeed stupid. "Sorry."

"It's fine," He then looked at the scenery, the environment. "I wonder if they are here during the night." He then looked at me. "What would they do when they're out?"

Communicating with each other, no fighting, roaming around places... I shrugged. "I wouldn't know." I'm such a liar...

"I wonder if I'll get to see one tonight." He then looked in front of him. 

"Probably."

He smiled and nodded, happy with my response. "I can't wait to see them," he said, making me look at him. He seemed so excited, maybe he shared the same curiosity as me? Maybe we weren't that much different? "And kill them." Or not...

I gulped. "Kill them?"

He looked at me, nodding. "Isn't that our goal? Killing every last one of them?" He then laid down in the grass. "I want them all to die. I want them to suffer."

"Why?"

He sat back up, looking at me with a confused expression on his face. "Because they murdered millions of people." He seemed to think my question was weird. "That's our goal, right?"

"Yes, the goal of our family is to - "

"No," He interrupted me. "Lily," He took my chin and made me look at him. "That is our goal, right?"

Our goal... He was getting suspicious over me... "Yes," I faked a reassuring smile. "Our goal, of course."

He nodded but I could see he wasn't convinced. "Good."

_____________________________

After 20 minutes, Mabel finally showed up!

I got up, in doing so Avan got up as well. When he spotted Mabel, his facial expression changed drastically. Gone was the confidence and in was the nervous and shy guy. "H-Hello Mabel." He waved awkwardly at her.

She smiled at him, she didn't seem to mind that he had so much trouble keeping himself together in her presence. Maybe she liked having that... "Hello Avan."

"I'll leave you two to it." I smiled at Mabel as I walked back to my bike. I had done a good deed and I was proud of it.

During my ride back home, I couldn't get rid of the big smile on my face. I felt good, I felt like I had really helped Avan get the girl of his dreams. I can't wait to hear all about their date.

I arrived home and put my bike against the side of the house, as usual. I then walked to the front door and entered the house. "Hey," I shouted through the house. "I'm home."

Soon enough mom and dad came to me, mainly to inspect me. "Are you ready for tonight?" Dad smiled proudly.

"Yeah," I put my jacket with the others and then looked at them. "Why? Is there something special happening?"

Mom and dad looked at each other before looking at me. "We found it." Dad smiled even more excitedly.

"Found what?" I couldn't help but get excited as well.

"The source of all evil," He then came closer to me, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Tonight we'll kill the Mother Superior."