Chapter 12: There's someone

Lily's POV

"Morning." I sat down at the dining table for breakfast, but was met by two pairs of worried eyes. "Is everything ok?"

"You tell us." Dad crossed his arms again, something he had been doing a lot lately.

I looked from him to mom and noticed mom was giving me the same look as dad. "Like what?" I looked back at dad.

He leaned in closer. "What's going on, Lily?"

I was so confused. "What do you mean?"

"I've seen many of my colleagues mourn the death of their child, I won't do that!"

I looked shocked at him, then at mom, then back at him. "Why would I die? I've been nothing but safe."

"That woman that was with you yesterday, who is she?"

I gulped. "A friend, I told you." I hate that once you lie, you have to keep lying. It'd be weird to change my answer about a person.

"Lily," Mom took my hand in hers. "Please be careful."

"I will." I got up. "I'm going to school."

"But you haven't eaten anything, honey." Mom came to me with pancakes. They looked great and tasty, but I wasn't interested.

"I'm not hungry." I left the house, took my bike and rode to Avan's house.

____________________________

I knocked on the front door. And soon enough, it opened. "Hello Lily, you're early today." Aunt Susan said as she let me enter the house.

"Yeah," I looked around and saw uncle Bill at the dining table. I walked to him. "I needed to be out of the house."

"What happened?" He put his newspaper down, giving me his full attention. Aunt Susan went to sit down next to him, also giving me her full attention.

I sighed. "Mom and dad think I'm not safe."

They both looked at each other before looking at me again. "Why would they think that?"

I shrugged.

"Lily?"

I looked at uncle Bill. "Dad didn't like the friend I brought home last night."

He raised his eyebrows. "Did you let that friend enter the house?"

"No," I looked away. "I've been taught not to."

"Then I see no reason why they would think you're not safe." Uncle Bill motioned something to aunt Susan. She got up. "Have you eaten already?"

I shook my head. "I was too irritated to eat there."

"Well I'll make you eggs." She kissed my head.

"Thank you." I smiled at them.

Aunt Susan took the carton of eggs and started making me breakfast. Uncle Bill looked at me, smiling.

"So, where's Avan?" I looked at the stairs, as if he'd magically appear there.

"Upstairs," Aunt Susan turned around for a bit, taking a sip of her cup of coffee that was on the dinning table. "He'll be down in a few minutes." She then turned back around, continuing making breakfast.

"So Avan told us you're working?"

I looked at uncle Bill. "Yes, I am." I couldn't help but to smile proudly. This was something I had achieved, on my own. And I was proud of that. "At that big building at the town square."

"Oh?" Aunt Susan nodded, she seemed impressed. "Good job."

I smiled even more.

"Indeed." He looked at the stairs. "Avan should follow your example."

I looked at the stairs as well, seeing Avan come down the stairs. He looked tired. But when he same me, he looked surprised. "Lily? You're early." He sat down at the dining table. "Or am I late?"

"I'm early."

"What happened?"

Aunt Susan served everyone a plate and sat down as well. They were all looking at me, even though I explained aunt Susan and uncle Bill already. "My parents think I changed."

Avan chuckled. "Changed how?" It's good to see someone's still standing on my side.

"I don't know," I took a bite. This was good food, I loved aunt Susan's cooking. That's why every time I'm here, I'll gladly accept food. "But I don't care."

"Cool," Avan ate his breakfast, like a pig would. "For what it's worth," He caressed my arm, trying to comfort me, in a way. "You became more mature."

I smiled. "Thank you, Avan."

After breakfast, Avan and me made our way to school. And, like good old times, we were holding a race. We were going as fast as we could, safely though. It was great.

Though after the race, when we still had a couple of minutes to go to school, we took our time. This was usually the time we'd talk about stuff.

"So," Avan smirked at me. "I heard you have a girlfriend."

I looked at him. "Who told you that?" I don't know why that was my first reaction. Why I didn't first tell him that wasn't the case. Because I don't have a girlfriend.

He chuckled. "I heard dad on the phone last night, with uncle John."

I sighed. Oh dad...

"Apparently your girlfriend dropped you off at home." He gave me a sheepish smile, one that suggested he was thinking about all the wrong things. "So, is she hot?"

I shook my head.

"Well that's unfortunate."

I looked at him again. "Avan, I don't have a girlfriend."

"But uncle John - "

"Dad's too worried about me," I looked away, looking at the beautiful scenery in front of me. Though I couldn't bring it to myself to smile, I wasn't happy with dad lately. "I feel like he doesn't trust me."

"Nonsense."

I chuckled. Hearing Avan say that reminded me of... Catherine... I couldn't help the smile that appeared on my face. I don't even know why I was smiling, nor did I care. The point was, she was making me smile.

"See," Avan smirked again. "There is someone."

"Try to catch me." I started riding faster, immediately gaining distance on him since I took him by surprise.

"Not fair!" And he, he's just joining in. He doesn't know or doesn't see that this was the perfect way to get him away from that subject. But I was happy he was a simple soul like that. After all, maybe I didn't want to go near that subject. Not yet at least.