Chapter 8: Meeting Suzy

Lily's POV

I had a nightmare. I saw them trying to hurt me as I walked on the streets. I saw them trying to eat me alive. I saw them trying to kill me. It was awful.

I blamed my parents for that. Last night, when they were so impolite towards Esmee, they told me she could be one of them, she could be looking at me. And because of that I couldn't stop imagining them at my window, watching as I slept. They couldn't enter the house, I knew that, but it's still a freaky thought.

"Good morning, Lily." Mom kissed my head, as she always did, as I sat down at the table. "How did you sleep?"

I shrugged.

"What's wrong?" Dad put his newspaper down, he was always worried when I didn't talk. He feared that they might take me over one day... That's what he told me.

"Nothing," I sighed. "Just a nightmare."

He nodded and immediately went back to his newspaper. Mom however sat down and looked at me. "What was it about?"

"Nothing," I took a spoonful of cereal. "Just about them."

Mom placed her hand on top of mine. "They won't hurt you. We," She wrapped her arm around dad. "We won't let that happen."

"Absolutely." He then groaned.

"What's wrong, honey?"

Dad sighed, putting the newspaper down. "Another attack!" He got up, pacing around. That's typical for dad, he blames himself for every attack by them.

"Honey," Mom reached for dad's hand. "You were off duty last night, this isn't your fault."

He kept pacing around, groaning in the process. "I hate that they're still killing people." He then took his newspaper back. "It happened in a house even." He sat down and looked at me suddenly. "Lily, promise me you won't let any strangers in our house. Don't grant them access."

"I know, dad."

"It's really important!" He pushed the newspaper in my face, making me see the gruesome picture of what remained of a body. There goes my appetite. "I don't want this to be you!"

"It won't!" I pushed the newspaper aside. "I'm trying to eat here."

Dad got up, taking his bag.

"Honey, where are you going?"

Dad came back to the kitchen, kissing my head and mom's lips. "I'll be at work. It can be late tonight." He then left.

I sighed. "I don't like dad getting worked up about every murder in this town."

"It's his job."

"His job is to prevent this from happening, but not to get worked up about murders."

Mom gave me a look. "He really cares about this town. He wants all of them to die."

"So kind." I got up and put my bowl by the dishes. "I'm off to school."

"Ok," She walked to me, kissing my head again. "Keep me updated tonight, for dinner."

I nodded and then walked to the door. "Bye." I got out of my house and then walked to the side of my house, to get my bike. But didn't see it. I searched around for a bit until I suddenly remembered that I left it at the building.

I sighed and started running towards the building. It was on my way to school anyway.  

As I was running through the streets, I heard a ringing. I looked behind me and saw Avan riding up to me. "Why are you spurting through the streets?"

I slowed down so I could talk properly to him. "I forgot my bike at my job last night."

He raised his eyebrows. "What time did you leave that building?"

I started running again as I saw the building come into view.

"Lily!"

I ran as fast as I could, looking behind me regularly to see if Avan would catch up to me. When I turned back around, I bumped into something.

"Lily!" Avan got off his bike and hurried to me. He helped me up. "Are you ok?"

I rubbed my head and then looked at what I hit. I saw a woman, who had just left that building. She looked at me, rubbing her forehead. "Are you crazy?!"

"I... I'm sorry."

"Sorry?! I could've had a concussion!"

I looked down. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

"Take your bike, Lily." Avan nudged me towards my bike.

I unlocked it and hopped on it. "I'm sorry, Ma'am."

"Do you work here?"

I gulped. She was going to get me fired, or at least trying to make my life miserable in this building. "I uhm..."

"I'll have a talk with your boss, young girl." She then went back inside.

I sighed, looking down.

"Hey," Avan wrapped his arm around me. "Leave her, your boss will know better."

"Maybe..." I sighed but rode to school with Avan.

_________________________

Esmee's POV

"So they're requesting another cargo by the end of this week."

Catherine nodded, then sighed. "We'll have to make sure we don't end up without cargo though."

"Should I try to make a compromise?"

She nodded again. "Tell them we'll give them more next delivery."

"Ok," I took the next case. "So this one - "

"Babe!"

I rolled my eyes as I saw Suzy enter the office.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Catherine asked, but didn't make any attempt to actually comfort her girlfriend.

Suzy sat down next to me, she was breathing heavily. "This stupid girl was in front of the building," She felt her forehead. "She bumped into me, I could've had a concussion!"

"It looks fine to me." Once again Catherine didn't make any attempt to actually comfort her girlfriend, she didn't even look at the bruise her girlfriend had.

I rolled my eyes before looking at Suzy. "Which girl do you mean?"

"A blond-haired girl. She was taking her bike that was secured here, so I'm guessing she works here." She then looked at Catherine. "Fire her!"

Catherine looked from Suzy to me. "That must be our newest employee."

I sighed. Lily. Poor Lily, meeting Suzy here must've been traumatizing for her. I looked at Suzy. "She probably didn't mean to hurt you."

"Well she did!" Suzy got up, going around the desk to Catherine. "Why do you even need new employees?" She went to sit down onto Catherine's lap. "You know I can work for you, babe."

I got up, I didn't need to see this. I walked to the door.

"We'll continue this later?"

I looked back at them, Suzy trying to get Catherine's attention while she was fixated on me.

"Yeah," I opened the door. "Sure." I then left the office and get to my own desk. That was just disgusting.