Chapter 26: Thank you

Lily's POV

Dad had dropped me off at home. Normally I'd have to patrol around with him, we'd have to look around for Catherine. But he didn't want that. He'd rather have me at home, safe.

Mom didn't question him. We went into the house and immediately locked all the doors and windows. She then led me to my bed, since it was past midnight. 

"Are you going to be alright?" Mom asked as she was caressing my face. She was seated on my bed, looking at me. I could see by the way she was looking at me, that she was worried about me.

I nodded. "Will dad be alright?"

Mom smiled. "Of course, he knows what he's doing." She caressed my cheek. "Get some rest." She then leaned down to plant a kiss on my forehead. "Goodnight, sweetie."

I smiled at her. "Goodnight, mom."

She smiled as she got up. She walked out of my room and closed the door.

I then looked up at the ceiling. What have I done? Did I do the right thing? I betrayed my people, my family. But I didn't feel bad, it didn't feel bad. It felt right. It felt like the right thing to do.

I sighed as I slowly closed my eyes, better not worry about that now. What's done is done.

My eyes shot open as my phone rang. I reached for it and answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Lily, I need your help."

I sat up. "Esmee?"

"Yes," She sighed. "We lost track of Catherine. We don't know where she is, we had hoped you knew something."

I got up, walking around my room. "I helped her escape the headquarters," I paused, expecting Esmee to say something but she didn't. "After that, I haven't seen her."

Esmee sighed again, she sounded worried. Very worried. "I need to find her, Lily, it's very important."

I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "How can I help?"

"Look around for her, please. She needs to be safe, our kind depends on it."

I gulped, the desperation in Esmee's voice made this moment so much more dramatic. "I will. I'll go out now."

"Be careful, they're outside."

"Don't worry," I looked out the window. "They won't hurt me." I smiled as I said that, remembering the time Catherine told me this.

"Ok, keep me updated." Esmee then ended the call.

I put my phone down and looked for my clothes. I put them on the bed, alongside some weapons for safety.

I put on my clothes and then opened my window, ready to head out when I suddenly got surprised by a bat flying in my general direction.

I shot back from the sudden action but quickly recovered. "Catherine?"

The bat changed into Catherine. She looked so scared, so tired. "Lily."

I gulped. "How are you? You looked terrible."

She looked down. "I don't know," She looked at her arms, her legs. "I don't know how I feel."

I walked to her, wrapping my arms around her body to support her. "Come," I helped her inside and led her to my bed. "Lie down." I walked to the door of my bedroom and locked it, just in case.

I turned around and saw Catherine lie down, she was shaking. I walked to her and put the sheets over her to warm her up. 

"Is that better?"