Chapter 25: The search

Lily's POV

I ran to the restrooms, but hid for people who ran by. When I arrived at the restrooms, I went into a stall and just waited.

The waiting seemed to last for hours. I was seated and watched how the seconds ticked by. I'd almost be good to go. Or maybe I should just stay put?

Suddenly the door opened. "Lily? Are you here?"

I sat up, surprised. "Mom?"

"Oh Lily!" She ran towards me, and stopped in front of my stall. "Open up."

I got up and opened the stall. Before I had the chance to get out, mom pulled me into a very tight hug.

"Thank God you're ok"!" She kissed my head multiple times. We stayed like that, tangled in each other's arms, until mom pulled back to look at me. "Where were you?" She caressed my face, now forcing me to look into her eyes.

"I was here, but then the alarm went off and I figured I'd better stay seated."

Mom looked into my eyes again, as if checking whether or not I was speaking the truth. "Thank God you're ok!" She repeated and pulled me in for a hug again. "I'm guessing something happened with the Mother Superior."

I gulped, grabbing my mom that much tighter. I hope I erased all my tracks.

"Come," She pulled back only to take my hand. "Let's get back to your father." Without waiting for my response, she pulled me with her out of the restrooms and back to the dining area.

When we arrived, it looked like a mess. I'm assuming people dropped their food and drinks when they heard the alarm, probably to run to safety...

"Honey," Mom said to dad, who was talking to some members of the CAT and uncle Bill and Avan. "I've got Lily."

Dad looked at me and then smiled, relieve washed over his face. "Thankfully you're safe and well." He caressed my face, smiling at me. "If that monster would have gotten to you..." He let out a breath. "I'd never forgive myself."

"I'm fine," I looked at Avan, who smiled at me. "How are you?"

He shrugged. "What started as one of the greatest evenings of my life, ended in disaster."

The CAT nodded. "The Mother Superior will get revenge on us. We've angered her. She won't let us go that easily."

Dad nodded, agreeing with those stupid people.

"Maybe she won't." I tried, but immediately regretted speaking up.

"The Mother Superior is the leader of them, them who kill innocent people and purposely hunt our kind." The CAT stated, to which everyone agreed. "She will send her people to attack ours, more people will get killed. We have to act fast now."

"How?" Dad asked.

"We'll have to figure out how the Mother Superior escaped and where she went to. We're assuming she's not going back home, that'd be too easy."

Uncle Bill nodded. "We'll send patrols through the town and kill every one of them."

The CAT agreed. "Everyone else, get started."

____________________________

Esmee's POV

There's nothing like a simple and relaxing evening at home, in front of the tv. Laying down on the couch, a nice blanket on top of you and a bowl of chips or popcorn or anything else to accompany you.

Yeah, I'd love an evening like that. But unfortunately, tonight was a disaster. Catherine was captured by the CAT.

"Have we found the location yet?" I asked our special task force. Their only task is to keep Catherine, their leader, safe. If she'd be captured, like tonight, they'd have to find her and get her back to safety.

"Negative," One of them said. "The CAT brought her to their headquarters."

"Well then let's go." I said as I was putting on my jacket.

"Her current location isn't there anymore." He then informed me, immediately making me drop my jacket. "Her last known location was just outside the building."

I came closer to have a look at the screen. It told us nothing. The last known location was visible but that was it. "What does that mean?"

"Maybe they killed her..."

I turned around, looking at the officer who said that. Upon seeing him, I nodded. It makes sense someone his age said that. "Then we'd die too," I then looked back at the radar screen, to Catherine's last known location. "Without her, our kind stops existing."

He gulped. "H-how do we continue when she dies of old age?"

I sighed. "We have to find her," I said, ignoring the young officer's question. I felt like, if he wanted to know more about our kind, he should inform himself. "Send out patrols towards her last known location, her house and our workplace."

"Yes, ma'am." He then took his headphone and started making calls, as did others in the room.

I looked around, seeing everyone work to find our leader. She had to come back, they couldn't find her, they couldn't kill her.

Something in me started worrying. I knew Catherine was a strong and powerful person, but even she has limits. And I'm wondering if Lily broke some of her strength. I wonder if Catherine maybe gave up...

I shook those thoughts away. One thing was for sure, when Catherine's back with me, I'll have to tighten her security even more. This can't happen anymore.

I took my phone and dialed Catherine's number, hoping to reach her this way. Since I wasn't dying right now, I figured Catherine was alright. Yet she wasn't answering her phone.

I sighed as I ended the call. I thought again, if she'd be alive and well, she'd be at home. But that'd be too big of a risk. Where else could she be?

I took my phone again, dialing the number of the only person she'd be with... Lily.