Chapter 9: Number 12

Lily's POV

During the day, I kept thinking about that woman. That strange and brutal woman. I understand she was irritated because I bumped into her, but she really wanted me to get fired... It actually made me worry. And wonder. I wonder how much her influence is in that company.

Avan tried everything he could to make me feel less worried. He told me many times that it'd be alright, and that I won't get fired because of one woman's words. Though I doubt that.

That evening, I wasn't as excited to go to work as I was the day before. I was slowly riding to the building, already dreading to arrive there.

"Don't worry, Lily."

I sighed. "But what if she - "

"She's one crazy woman. You delivered good work yesterday, you told me yourself. They won't fire you because that crazy woman tells them to. That'd be ridiculous." He chuckled. "I have faith in this."

"I hope so."

We arrived at the building, I secured my bike again and then looked at Avan, who still looked so worried for me. He really was a great cousin.

I showed him a small smile. "I'll be fine."

"Do you want me to come and get you after your shift?"

I shook my head. "It'll be past curfew." And I was curious to be with Esmee again, she seemed interesting. "I don't want you to get in trouble."

"It's no trouble, besides I wonder how our town really is."

I chuckled. "Like a ghost town."

He nodded. "Sounds very tempting." He smiled at me.

"No," I waved him off. "I'll be fine. I'll call you tonight though."

"I'm counting on it." He then rode off, back home.

I sighed and got into the building. The receptionists greeted me and let me through. I walked to the elevators and got to the top of the building. Once again that elevator ride was one where I was worrying, nervous and just doubting everything. It's as if all those feelings intensify the higher I go up.

I arrived at my floor and went straight to the supply room. I figured that if I avoid Esmee and Miss Le Rouge, I might avoid getting fired.

So here I was sorting out supplies, papers and gadgets for every office on this floor. I'd go by to people's desks, supplying them or taking their stuff before going to another desk and doing the exact same thing. It all went well.

"Lily," I turned around, seeing Esmee stand there in front of her office. "I need to speak to you."

I nodded and put down my supplies on my little trolley. I then walked to Esmee's office and sat down in front of her desk.This was it, I thought.

"So," She closed the door and then walked to her desk. She sat down and studied me, I wonder why exactly. "I've heard you met Suzy."

I looked at her. "Suzy?"

She nodded, leaning back in her chair. "The woman who nearly had a concussion this morning." She rolled her eyes.

I wonder, I wonder if she didn't like Suzy. But if Suzy came here, she must know Esmee. Or Miss Le Rouge. "Uhm yes... I bumped into her, but it was an accident." I looked down. "I apologized and tried telling Suzy it was an accident, but she wasn't having it."

"She's an annoying woman."

I looked up at her.

Esmee smiled at me. "A brat."

I gulped.

"It's ok," She sat back up, leaning closer to me. She must noticed that I didn't know what was going on. "Suzy is Catherine's..." She paused. "Girlfriend." The way she said 'girlfriend' told me she didn't like it, she didn't support that relationship. Or maybe something else was going on. "She exaggerates constantly, we took care of it."

"What does this mean, for me?"

She smiled and, did something she never did, reached for my hands to hold them in hers. She seemed to care a lot about how I felt here, and I wonder why. I don't think she's doing this with all the employees sitting in the workplace. "You'll be fine." She eventually said.

I looked down, at our hands. I smiled a bit, this felt good. It felt good knowing that she cared about my well-being at work.

Suddenly a door opened. I looked up and saw Miss Le Rouge, eyeing the both of us. She didn't seem pleased, at all. "What is this?" She looked at me. "Is this working?"

I gulped. "No," I stood up back up. "I'm sorry." I greeted them both before leaving that office, quickly going back to my supply-trolley.

____________________________

Esmee's POV

I watched as Lily hurried out of my office, she was visibly afraid of what'd happen to her in this workplace. I wonder if she felt intimidated by us.

I looked back at Catherine. Her acting that way to Lily wasn't helping either. But I knew why she was acting that way. "It meant nothing, Catherine. You know that."

She looked at me, she was irritated. "You know that, I know that, but Lily doesn't." She paced around, she was very irritated. I wonder if that had something to do with Suzy...

"How did it go, with Suzy?" I leaned back in my chair. "Any news?"

She looked down, frustrated. "Nothing," She walked to me, sitting down in the chair Lily just was seated in. "Nothing at all." She sighed, massaging her temples. "I think it's time to move on to the next potential."

I nodded, I was very happy to hear that, though I wouldn't tell Catherine that. "Well she's already here."

She nodded, looking at the workplace. "But how do I get to her?" She then looked back at me. "She doesn't seem to be affected by my eyes."

I leaned closer to her. "You know that may be a good sign."

She nodded.

"Well then?" I couldn't help but wonder if Catherine was afraid. If maybe she didn't want to look for her match. Maybe she was tired of it.

"I don't know about this potential though," She stood back up. "She's young."

"So?" I got up as well. "Number 4 was about her age as well, that never stopped you."

"But I was young then as well."

"Catherine," I placed my hand on her shoulder, gently squeezing it. "Your time is almost done. There's literally no time to waste."

She sighed but nodded. "I'll get rid of Number 12," She looked back to the workplace, to Lily. "And get started with Number 13."