Chapter 66: Vernon

Lily's POV

I looked around at the room I was in, it looked sad. Though I don't expect much else from a prison... I then saw the visitors, talking to the inmates. And I wondered, what were their connections? Why were they here? What did those inmates do to end up at this prison?

"Miss Faulkner?"

I looked behind me, to the guard at the door.

"Can you come with me?"

I got up and walked to him. I followed him into a secured room. It was a boring looking room, all in the same color and material. In the middle stood a table, that was nailed to the ground. The chairs were nailed to the ground as well, which didn't seem that great of an idea.

"You can wait here." He motioned to the chair that looked most comfortable.

I nodded and sat down on that chair. I then looked around some more, noticing multiple cameras pointed at the table.

Then the door opened, and in came two guards escorting a man into the room. They chained the man to the table with his hands and feet. Then they stepped back only to leave the room, but disappeared behind the obvious one-way window.

The man in front of me looked broken, beaten almost to death, he looked tired and, he looked angry. 

I gulped, was this Catherine's dad? Was this the almighty Vernon? "Hello sir, are you Vernon Le Rouge?"

"Who's asking?"

I gulped once more, immediately I was intimidated by his tone. "Uhm... I'm Lily," I scooted a bit closer, I don't know why. "Catherine's soon to be wife."

At this, he looked up at me. A look washed over his face, a look I didn't know what it could mean...

"Sir?"

He scooted closer to me, just looking at me in awe. He looked me all over, it's like he was observing me.

I gulped. "Sir?" I tried again.

Then he looked me in the eyes. "Lilian?"

"No, I'm Lily." I paused before looking into his eyes. "I'm Catherine's soon to be wife."

"Of course, Lily..." He sighed before regaining his composure. "Catherine's true love?" He asked to which I nodded. He then smiled. "So you're going to deliver the next in line?"

I nodded before lifting Emily a bit, immediately gaining his attention. "This is Emily, your grandchild."

He looked from me to Emily. "Is she your child with Catherine?"

"Yeah," I then looked at Emily and smiled. "Look Emily, that's your granddad."

Emily giggled while waving her hands all over. She seemed very excited.

I then smiled more. "I knew you were going to be happy," I then kissed her head before looking at him again. "We're here to talk to you."

He nodded but kept looking at me with that same look on his face. Part of me felt afraid and worried, but part of me was interested in what he was thinking. I knew his story, I knew what he was capable off, and I just wanted to figure out how to prevent Catherine from going down the same road as he did.

"I'm here because I need information."

He raised his eyebrows. "Information?"

I nodded. "Catherine told me about the Sanco, Vamrin and Bloodborn forms. I know I can handle Sanco and Vamrin, but I don't know what to do with Bloodborn."

He then chuckled, shaking his head. "There's nothing you can do to stop her," He started, immediately making me feel even more worried than I had intended to. "She'll get to that form, and there's nothing you can do to stop that."

I gulped before saying: "Catherine told me that it might be that she won't ever go into that form."

"That's possible," He then scooted closer, his eyes piercing into me. "But she doesn't need to."

"W-What do you mean?"

"That form is to destroy all humans," He said to which I looked down. "But she can do that without that form, our bloodline is build to do that. That form was an added bonus."

I looked at him. "Catherine doesn't destroy humans, she's kept me safe, she's kept Marianne and Ben safe."

"Because you are family," He started but then a smirk appeared on his face. "Though it's only a matter of time before she'll break."

I gulped again.

He scooted closer again. "Everyone in her environment knows she'll break, they know she'll change into her Bloodborn form. It's not a matter about if she'll do it, it's a matter about when she'll do it."

"So you're telling me I can't stop her?"

He shook his head. "Nothing will stop her," He then leaned back into his chair, as Catherine would do too. "She's a ticking time bomb, she'll go off."

"You're lying," I pulled Emily a bit closer, looking for some comfort. "She promised me she wouldn't hurt me."

"Don't you think I promised Lilian the same thing?" He then came closer to me again, his eyes focused solely on mine. "I loved Lilian with everything I got, I would've died for her..." He then paused. "But it's in our nature," He then looked upset. "My kind craves for human blood, and my bloodline also craves human flesh."

"Human flesh?"

He nodded. "So don't think Catherine will keep her promise, she can't. Her craving will get the best of her. It's only a matter of time." He then scooted even closer. "I bet she's eating human flesh already."

"No," I looked down, gulping. The thought of Catherine eating human flesh... It sickened me. "I know everything she does, we have no secrets for each other."

He nodded, an amused look on his face. "So you know what her job is?" He said to which I raised my eyebrows. How did he know Catherine's job? "And you're allowed to look at all her stuff? And go in all the rooms of her house?"

I looked down, sighing. I realized he made some valid points, there were indeed things that Catherine wasn't telling me. But was it because she was hiding something from me or simply because she liked her privacy?

"Tick, tick, tick..." He then scooted closer. "Boom!"

I shot back a bit to which he chuckled.

"It's only a matter of time." He said and that's when two guards entered the room again, our time was over.