Chapter 10: An uneasy feeling

Lily's POV

I hated it, I hated the way Miss Le Rouge looked at me and Esmee. I wonder if Esmee will be in trouble for anything. I mean, nothing happened. Nothing was going to happen.

It seems to me that whatever Miss Le Rouge thought was going to happen, it wouldn't. I have no interest in Esmee, not in that way. Though I wonder why Miss Le Rouge was so... Angry? Upset? Strict? Jealous? No, not jealous. I mean, why would she?

During the remainder of my shift, I stayed away from their offices. I figured I'd better avoid them to avoid trouble.

"Hey Lily."

I smiled as I arrived with my little trolley. "Hey." I handed my co-workers, if I can even call them that, their supplies. I also delivered them their mail.

"So, how's it going here?"

"Do you enjoy your job?"

I slowly nodded. "It's good here."

They handed me their mail. "And how do you like your bosses?"

I shrugged. "I don't know," I paused. "Esmee's fine, she's really nice to me. I think she really cares about how I feel here. She wants me to feel good."

They both nodded, seemingly agreeing with what I was saying.

"Miss Le Rouge though..." I let out a breath. "I don't know what to think of her. I don't really see her that often."

"Oh really?"

I nodded, looking down. "I don't know why, but I have a feeling that she doesn't like me." I looked back up at them and saw them, including the rest of this work-area quiver in fear. Their eyes all fixated on something behind me.

I turned around, slowly, and was met with the strict face of none other than Miss Le Rouge. This would actually be the first time I'd see her out of her office. "Well Lily," She paused, she was licking her lips, for some reason. "I suppose we have to spend some time together, if you feel that way."

I gulped, chills went down my lower back. "I'm sorry, Miss." I looked down, keeping my head down in shame. "It won't happen again."

She nodded. "Before you leave, come to my office." She then walked away, leaving the whole workplace in an uneasy silence. It's now that I realized that even these people, who worked here for much longer than me, were also afraid of Miss Le Rouge. But why?

I let out a breath of relieve.

"What does she want from you?"

I looked at my co-workers, who by now all looked very interested in what I was going to say. Not that they weren't interested before, this was just different. "I don't know."

They gave each other a look, one that suggested they perfectly knew what was going on. But they looked away soon, continuing their work.

I sighed and retrieved, I went back to the supply-room. I figured I could keep myself busy in here, at least it'll be quiet and calm here.

As soon as my shift was over, I made sure the supply-room was clean and got out of that room. I then locked the supply-room and headed towards Miss Le Rouge's office.

I've been going through this empty workplace and I still think it's a weird scene. I feel so uneasy. Especially since it was pure darkness. You see, there weren't any windows here. Another odd detail I had noticed along the day.

I arrived at her office and noticed Esmee wasn't there. Would she already have left? But if so, why didn't she come by to say goodnight? Though she was my boss, I'm sure she doesn't go around saying goodnight to everyone here... I shouldn't think anything of it.

I knocked on Miss Le Rouge's office and waited. I knocked again but got no answer.

I gently opened the door and saw her chair, facing away from the door. I wonder if she was always seated like that, faced away from the door. Maybe she didn't want to see people get in her office, maybe she enjoyed the excitement of not knowing.

I gulped and slowly entered the office. I walked towards the chair, slowly. "Miss Le Rouge?"

She was seated in the chair, but she wasn't acting like she normally would. She was looking outside. Strangely enough the only window on this floor was here, in her office. It was a giant window, basically the wall behind her desk was windowed. Maybe that's why she's always looking at that.

"Miss Le Rouge?" I repeated, this time more guarded. I felt very uneasy. She and I were the only ones on this floor. If she'd be part of them and she'd try to kill me, I wouldn't be able to get away.

She didn't look at me, she looked outside. "There you are, Lily."

I gulped, she wasn't herself. Maybe she was drunk, she was drinking wine... She didn't even acknowledge my presence. "A-are we going?" Part of me was doubting if I really wanted to go with her. Who knows what she'll do...

She nodded before finishing her wine. "Beautiful evening, isn't it?"

I looked from her to the windowed wall. It was already dark outside, the street lights were on, though no one was in town. It looked sad, and a waste of electricity. "A bit lonely though."

She finally looked at me, again that hint in her eyes. "Lonely?"

I nodded. "Curfew." I simply stated.

She nodded and then got up. "Let's get you home." She took her bag and then pushed a button before exiting her office.

I followed behind her, seeing the windowed wall get covered by something. Why would you get a windowed wall if you're going to cover it? Strange...

We went to the elevator and quickly got in. In there she was at front, I was in the back. There was quite a lot of distance between us, though I wasn't pleased with that. I wanted more distance between us.

I watched her, she just stood there. Her back straight, her eyes didn't move nor blinked, she didn't seem to move. It made me feel uneasy.

We finally got to the underground parking lot, she'd direct me to her car. Of course that car was, just like Esmee's, a very expensive car. They both clearly had a lot of money.

Before entering, I once again wondered if this really was the right thing to do. Should I really get in a car with her?

Before I could give that more thought, the car door opened and Miss Le Rouge's head popped out at the passenger's side. "Are you coming?"

"Yes." I gulped before entering the car. This one though felt different, it felt secured. Like nothing could get in once the doors were locked. It felt like, like a tank. 

"Let's get you home."