Chapter 61: Esmee's mother

Lily's POV

"Catherine had to be the leader when she had just lost her mother and her father in the same day." Marianne ended the story. "It was tough on her, she never had a chance to properly process the loss of her mother."

I looked down, I felt like hugging Catherine now. "That's awful."

Marianne nodded. "I hate Vernon for what he did to Lilian."

I looked at Marianne. "So that's why Catherine has a tattoo of the name 'Lilian'," I said to which Marianne nodded. "And did you know Lilian well?"

Marianne looked down, sniffling.

"Was she your friend?"

Marianne nodded. "My best friend," She then looked at me. "And my sister."

My eyes widened. "Wait, you're Catherine's...?"

"Aunt? Yes." She looked away, to nothing in particular. "Ever since my sister died, I took on the role of Catherine's mother. I wanted Catherine to feel like she still had a mother figure in her life."

"That's amazing."

She looked at me and showed me a small smile. 

"I bet she can also count a lot on Esmee," I then smiled. "I didn't know they have been friends for so long."

"Ever since birth," Marianne smiled. "Esmee always took care of Catherine, despite Catherine being older."

I then looked at her, I wondered... "Do you know Esmee?"

Marianne looked at me, puzzled. "Of course," She smiled. "She's my daughter." She said to which I let out a gasp. "I thought you knew?"

"So Esmee and Catherine..."

"They're cousins." Marianne then smiled, nodding. "And they're the best of friends. I'm really proud of Esmee and how she took care of Catherine all these years." She then looked at me. "And now you are here to take on that role."

I smiled then. "I'll do my best," I then looked away, shaking my head. "I can't believe Catherine's mother couldn't control Catherine's father anymore." I then looked at Marianne. "Why did it change?"

"He was in his Bloodborn form."

I raised my eyebrows. "Bloodborn form, what's that?"

Marianne smiled a bit. "That's a lesson for another day." She patted my legs before getting up and leaving me alone, to think.

____________________________

Esmee's POV

I loved Catherine, I loved working alongside her. But when she wasn't here, I felt like I was the boss of the company. And I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the power, just for a brief moment. I loved how people called me for advice, or they called me for orders or finances. Unfortunately, my joy was cut short.

"Hey Esmee." Catherine entered the office, smiling like crazy.

I followed her into her office. "Catherine, what are you doing here?" I then sat down. "Shouldn't you be with your pregnant human?"

"I should," She then turned on her computer. "But she told me she'll handle it until it's time to deliver the baby."

I chuckled. "You have a good wife."

"I know," She leaned back, she seemed really happy. "I love her so much."

"I see that."

Suddenly that smile disappeared.

"What's wrong?" I asked, trying to look at her computer screen since that was what she was looking upset at. "Catherine?"

She looked at me. "That piece of crap demands to see me."

I raised my eyebrows before getting up. I read the e-mail she had gotten from the highest secured prison. "Wow..."

"How dare he?!"

"Ok, easy," I then walked back to the chair and sat down. "Why would he want to see you?"

"Who knows?" She looked down, shaking her head. "I'm not going."

"Agreed."

"Good," She then looked at her screen and started typing. "I hate him." She then cursed over and over at her screen, at him. And I couldn't blame her.

When the e-mail was sent, she looked at me again. "Hey," I showed her a small smile. "Don't let him ruin your good mood and perfect life."

Catherine quickly smiled again. "You're right."

"Good," I then got up. "I'll let you get to work then." I walked to my own office and sat down, thinking. I took my phone and dialed the number.

"Esmee?"

"Mom," I leaned back in my chair. "Vernon has demanded to see Catherine."

"Again?" She sighed. "Why isn't he leaving her alone?"

"I'm guessing he wants to see her now because he can sense there's about to be a new successor in his family tree."

Mom let out a sigh. "Probably," She paused before saying: "He can't get to Lily or the baby."

"I know," I looked at my computer screen, writing a new e-mail to that highest secured prison. "I'm working on it. I just thought I'd let you know."

"Ok, thanks." She then changed the subject. "Did you know that Lily didn't know you were my daughter?"

I stopped typing the e-mail and leaned back, smiling. "I figured, no one ever told her."

"True, but people always tell me we look alike."

I chuckled. "Maybe Lily was busy with other things, mom."

"I told her the whole story, about Lilian."

I then sat up. "What? Why?"

"She had to know, Esmee." She paused. "If Catherine ever shows signs like Vernon..."

I gasped. "You think Catherine would end up like Vernon?" I shook my head. "She's more like her mother."

"I hope so, I really do." She sighed. "But you told me about that one time..."

I sighed, realizing she might be right about that. "I know, but Lily was able to control her then."

"Yes, then. Lilian was able to control Vernon as well, until that one fatal night..." Mom then stopped. And that's when I heard sniffles. "If I had known... I could've - "

"Mom, we all couldn't have stopped it. Vernon is an evil person, he was never happy." I then leaned back. "And that's why Catherine will never be like him because she, in fact, is happy. And she actually loves Lily."

"Yeah, you're right." Mom then sounded happier. "I'm thinking about taking Lily to Lilian's grave."

"Maybe you should let Catherine do that. She could open up about her mother to Lily that way."

"I know, I thought that too," She sighed. "But then I thought that she might get triggered by that..."

I let my hand go through my hair. "She should be the one telling Lily."

"What should I tell Lily?"

I looked up, seeing Catherine look at me. "Uhm mom, I have to go. I'll call you later." I then ended the call. "Hey Catherine."

"What should I tell Lily?" She repeated.

I gulped. "Listen Catherine, I - "

"How dare you two involve Lily into something that's not important anymore?!"

"Catherine, we all see you're still hurt." I stood up, to be on her eye level. "Take Lily to your mother's grave, and talk to her. Open up, it'll do wonders."

Catherine looked so angry then, I thought she'd fight me but she didn't. She just left, without another word.