Chapter 5: Inside the building

Lily's POV

I arrived at the tall building and parked my bike. I secured it before taking a moment to look up at the building. It was gigantic.

I got pulled out of my thoughts by someone clearing their throat.

I looked at the person and noticed a security person standing in front of the entrance. I slowly walked to him. "I uhm..." I looked for the paper of the job offer. When I found it, I showed it to him. "I'm here for this."

He studied the paper for a bit before looking at me. He nodded and simply let me pass through.

I carefully walked past him and entered the building. There I saw 2 women sitting behind desks, they probably were the receptionists

I walked to them, still having the paper of the job offer in my hand. "Hello."

They both looked at me, they seemed very disinterested. "What can we do for you?"

I showed them the paper. "I'm here for the job offer."

They looked from the paper to me, then to each other before looking back at me. "Well of course." One of them got up and walked to me. She wrapped an arm around my shoulder before leading me to the elevators. "Miss Le Rouge will be happy to hear that." She pressed a button.

"Miss Le Rouge?" I was so confused and so on edge, I felt the weird atmosphere. Just like dad had told me it'd be.

"Yes," The elevator arrived, and so she pushed me in. "Your new boss." She waved at me as the doors of the elevator closed.

I looked at the buttons inside, there were so many! 30 floors?! Well I know there are taller buildings, of course. But I've never been in one...

The button of floor 30 was lightening up, so I'm guessing Miss Le Rouge is on that floor. Would she be the boss of this whole building? Or maybe she's the one that actually asked for an assistant...

I watched the numbers go up, so slowly. It seemed to take forever. And I was dying of stress now, I was here waiting to meet up with the boss.

I wonder how she'll be. Usually bosses are, well they're bossy. Some are mean, some are assertive, some are intimidating, some are evil... I hope she's nice, I hope she's not creepy... Why do I fear for the worst every time? What if she's a part of them? I can defend myself, I thought.

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. I carefully stepped outside and looked around. It was quiet here, why was it so quiet here?

"Hello?"

I looked at my left and saw someone, a man. "Uhm hello." I took the paper of the job offer again. "I'm here for the job offer."

The guy looked at it before looking at me, he nodded. He stepped out of the door frame, revealing a whole workplace behind it. "It's right through there."

"Thank you."

He nodded and walked past me, to some sort of vending machine.

I looked back to the workplace, it was sheltered well. I didn't know there was something so big behind that door when I first laid my eyes on it.

I went through the door and looked around, at everyone. They were all working, just like a normal workplace. Though some of them were eyeing me in a weird way, a way I didn't like.

I walked to the end of the workplace, it's now that more of the people were looking. They were probably wondering who I was and what I was doing here.

I arrived at a new kind of office, it wasn't completely sealed off by walls like the one behind it. Instead this one was sealed off from the workplace by windowed walls.

I stepped into the office, the name tag on the wall said 'Esmee Cortez - assistant-manager'.

I knocked on the windowed wall, which made the woman at the desk look up. We both gasped. "What are you doing here?"

I looked at the woman at the desk, it was the same woman who I had seen out past curfew. The same woman who had helped me. She had such an important job here?

"Hello?"

I blinked. "Uhm..." I took the paper again, and showed it to her. "I'm here for the job offer."

She looked from the paper to me. "Why?"

"Well I needed a job."

She sighed but got up. "Wait here." she demanded, before knocking on the door with the name tag 'Catherine Le Rouge - CEO'.

I stood there, awkwardly fidgeting with my fingers. I looked at the door again, and I wondered what was happening there. I heard a lot of noise, though it didn't sound like they were fighting.

Suddenly the door opened, revealing the woman again. "You may go inside." She motioned to the door, to the CEO.

I let out a breath before walking to it.

"Stay calm."

I looked at the woman again, who looked worried in a way. She was yet again trying to help me, with something.

I nodded and got in. I closed the door behind me and looked directly at the chair, which was turned away from the door.

I walked to the chair in front of the desk, and sat down. I gulped. "Hello."

The chair swiveled around, revealing a young woman. She must've been in her mid-twenties, she was very young. Too young to be a CEO already. She looked gorgeous, her eyes enchanting and keeping me fixated on her.

I gulped, pulling my eyes away from her breathtakingly beautiful face. I took the paper and handed it to her. "I'm here for the job offer."

She took the paper and studied it for a brief moment before giving me her attention again. "Ok," She took a piece of paper and a pencil, then she looked at me again. "So tell me something about yourself."

"I'm Lily Faulkner, I'm interested in finding a job."

She noted it down before looking up at me again. "Why here? Have you worked in offices before?"

I shook my head. "Well I..." I paused, what was I going to say to that. "I haven't worked before, I'm looking for my first job." I gulped. "I liked this job offer the most."

"Why?" She leaned in closer, she seemed very interested all of the sudden.

I shrugged. "It's going to sound weird..."

"Surprise me." She was looking at me intensively, as if she was trying to find something.

I looked down, fidgeting with my fingers again. "I uhm..." I paused before looking up at her. "I felt like this was it. Like something told me I had to be here."

She nodded, smiling. There was a hint of something in her eyes, but I couldn't make out what it was... "Good," She stood up, presenting her hand. I stood up as well. "You're hired." We then shook hands.