Chapter 53: The Superior's duty

Lily's POV

"When did you last see her?" Number 10 asked.

I looked at her. "This morning, before she went to work."

"And what did she tell you?" Number 9 then asked.

I let out a breath, knowing they'll scare me again. "That she had a surprise for me when she'd get back home tonight." I looked at their faces, which said enough. "It's not that bad, right?"

"Lily," Riley got up and sat down next to me, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. "You can't go back. She'll kill you."

I looked down.

"She practically told you," Number 11 then went on. "You should be happy you've got us to protect you."

"Hey," Riley pulled me a bit closer, making me look at her. "Don't worry about her anymore, you can stay here, with me."

I slowly smiled. "Thank you," I then sighed. "But I need to see her one more time, just to finish everything off."

"She'll kill you when she gets home, Lily." Riley repeated, as if I didn't hear her the first time.

"Do the same as I did," Suzy suddenly spoke up, gaining everyone's attention. "Go to the office. Strangely enough, it's quite safe there."

"Are you sure?" Riley asked Suzy, who then nodded. Then Riley looked at me. "If you must talk to her once more, then go to her office."

"Ok," I then got up. "I'll be back." I then left.

__________________________

Esmee's POV

I had to tell her. I needed to inform Catherine. And I had been going over the conversation in my head countless times, but I knew it would never go as smooth as it did in my head.

I wonder how she'll take it. How she'll handle the situation. What she'll do next...

And so here I was, in front of the door of her office. I had been ready to enter for a couple of minutes, though was frozen in place. I didn't want to upset her, and I knew I would. I hated being the one to bring bad news.

"Esmee?"

I turned around and gasped. I then bowed.

"Is our Superior there?"

I got back up and simply nodded. "Shall I let her know you're here?"

"That won't be necessary." They walked closer to me before passing me and going inside. 

I followed them in, I was curious to hear what they were doing here. Though I think I know why they're here...

Catherine looked up and, upon seeing our guest, got up and bowed too. "Welcome Council," She then sat down, as did they and I. "What can I do for you?"

One of the Councilmembers leaned forward, he was the leader of the Council for decades. He had served nearly 40 years as the Superior's adviser. "Superior," And they were always very formal with Catherine. "We're here because we're worried."

Catherine's eyebrows raised. "Why?"

"The time's almost over," Another one continued, and by now I knew why they were here. And judging by Catherine's face, she knew too. "There's only 3 more years left."

"It's still 3 years," Catherine let out a frustrated breath. "I'm working on it, I can't rush things more than I'm already doing."

"According to Esmee's notes, you're busy with Number 13," The leader continued, to which Catherine and I nodded. "How's that going?"

"Great," Catherine leaned back, she was pissed, I could tell. "Amazing, perfect, wonderful. Do you want more?"

The leader sighed, I'm guessing he noticed Catherine's mood as well. "Superior, we're not here to anger you or disrespect you in any way," He paused, probably looking for the right way to say his message. "We simply want to help our kind, just as much as you do."

"Good," Catherine looked away. "Then we're done talking." She went back to her work, completely ignoring them.

But I interfered. "Catherine," I said to which she looked at me. "The month's over." And with that Catherine's face changed drastically. "Lily's not the one."

She looked down, taking in the news I had just said.

"Exactly," The leader went on, nodding. "Which is why we're suggesting to start Number 14 and 15 at the same time."

"That'd be too much to handle for her though." I said.

"Maybe," The leader nodded, seemingly thinking about it. "But we need to hurry."

I shook my head. I know these people want what's best for our kind, but I believe that they sometimes forget that Catherine's a busy person. And come on, keeping track of two potentials...

"We also urge you to stop working here and concentrate solely on your next potentials."

Catherine kept looking down, taking it all in. I knew she was upset, I figured as much. She and Lily were very close, which is why I thought Lily was the one. But it doesn't look like it...

"Are we clear, Superior?" The leaders asked.

"I'm not moving on from Lily." She said. Exactly what I was afraid of...

"Lily?" The leader seemed confused.

"Number 13," I said to which he nodded, seemingly understanding it now. I then looked at Catherine. "You have no choice, Catherine."

She looked at me, shocked. I knew she felt even more hurt now, maybe even betrayed by me. But we had to move on, there was no other way.

"Lily got one month, just like the others. She's not the one, we can't stick with her." I then leaned in closer. "I know you love her, I really do, and I know you want to be with her... But you have a duty to your people."

"Precisely," The leader came in, supporting me. "Our duty is to serve you, but your sole duty to us is to protect us."

I nodded. "You have to move on."

She looked down. "Fine," She sighed. "Locate Number 14."

I nodded and got up. "Right on that," I then walked to the door and opened it, revealing Lily. My eyes widened, she couldn't have chosen a worse timing. "Lily, now's not a good time."

She looked confused for a bit until she noticed Catherine, who looked depressed. "Catherine?" She past by me and walked to Catherine. "What's wrong?"

Catherine kept looking down, her way of breaking up with the first potential she actually loved. "We can't go on anymore, Lily."

"What do you mean?" I wonder if Lily knew what was happening. Judging by her facial expression, she must know.

Catherine gulped. "We're over, I can't see you anymore. You have to leave."

"Why?"

"Listen human," The leader got up, interrupting the conversation. "Our Superior has a duty to us, you're not the one for her so she has to move on to the next ones."

Lily looked from them to Catherine. "You're breaking up with me because I can't deliver?"

Catherine and I looked at Lily. How did she know that? 

Before either of us could ask her she went on: "You just used me," She then looked down, shaking her head. "I can't believe I actually thought you loved me."

"I do love you, Lily, but I have a duty to - "

"You know what you can do with your duty," Lily then walked towards the door, towards me. She turned around one final time to look at Catherine. "I hate you!" She then left.

"Lily!" Catherine got up, running towards the door to stop Lily. "Lily, wait!" But I stopped her from going after Lily. "Lily, don't go!" Catherine then broke down. She fell onto the ground, crying.