Chapter 57: The confrontation

Lily's POV

I took a deep breath in and out. This isn't that bad, I could get through this without a problem. I can do this.

Who am I kidding? This is going to be hard. Catherine's never going to cooperate, she clearly wanted me to change, but why? That's the one question I'm wondering about. I hope she'll at least answer me that.

"Are you ready for it?" Riley asked me as she patted my leg, trying to encourage me in any way she could.

I shrugged while I looked out the window, to the building. "I don't know."

"We'll be nearby so, if you need us, just call us." Number 10 went on. "We'll storm the building if we have to."

I smiled then. "Thank you," I looked at all of them, including Suzy. "All of you."

They smiled as I got out of the car. I slowly walked to the entrance of the building, where I turned back around to look at them before heading on in.

I walked past the receptionists, but I had seen one of them take her phone. I'm assuming Catherine will be alerted before I even get there.

I entered the elevator and pressed the button to go to their level. And then I was just standing there for a minute or two, waiting and thinking. There's literally no way back now. I was even wondering if someone would be standing at the elevator upstairs...

I turned around and noticed my reflexion in the mirror of the elevator. I looked horrible. I looked sick, weak and very tired. Why did I look like I was dying? I wonder how I'll look after the change. Will I still have the same hair color? Will my eyes change? Will my skin get extremely sensitive?

Then I heard the little ding, I had arrived at my destination. I turned back towards the doors and sighed as the doors opened. There was no one...

I got out of the elevator and then took a deep breath in and out. I should probably just walk straight to Catherine, just to get it over with.

And so I started marching, in one straight line, all the way to Catherine's office. I felt stares on me, but I shook them off, they weren't important now.

I arrived at Esmee's office and entered, without even greeting Esmee. I continued on to Catherine's office but felt Esmee following me.

And there she was, Catherine. She looked like a mess.

I walked straight to her desk and stopped in front of it.

"Catherine," Esmee said before I could even say a word. "You have a visitor." I didn't like the way she was creating a distance between me and them, though I knew this was for the best.

Catherine looked up, tears had painted her face with sadness. Her eyes were puffy and red while her cheeks and nose were reddish, probably from lying down on the desk.

She looked horrible but, when she saw me, she sat up. Hope was in her eyes again. "Lily!" She smiled. "You came back."

"You need to change it." Was all I said. I knew I sounded vague, but I guessed she knew what I meant.

"What?"

"Have a seat, Lily." Esmee motioned to the seat behind me.

I sat down and then looked at Catherine. "You need to change it."

"Change what?" Esmee asked before Catherine could.

I didn't look at her, I kept looking at Catherine since I knew she was my ticket back to humanity. "The change, the transformation, make it stop."

"What transformation?" Catherine asked.

I wanted to shout at her, curse at her, but I didn't. I was afraid, because I saw she was being genuinely confused. "Wait, you didn't change me?"

"Change you how, Lily?" Esmee asked.

I looked at her now. "I haven't been feeling well," I then looked at Catherine. "I scream because it feels like there are knives within me, I eat so much more than before, I throw up blood," I then looked at Esmee, seeing her face change. "The doctor told me I was changing into your kind," I then looked at Catherine. "So please make it stop. I want to stay a human."

"I didn't change you," Catherine looked at Esmee, they shared a look before Esmee left the office. "But I'll help you."

I nodded. "Thank you." Then I heard the door again, and saw Esmee enter. She was holding something, a case, and gave it to Catherine. "What's that?"

Catherine opened it. "This will help us figure out what's wrong with you," She then took out a syringe. "Give me your arm."

I gulped, I was worried but did as she said. She held my arm with great care.

"Listen, I'll have to stick this in your arm, try not to move." She said to which I nodded. She then looked at my arm and stuck it in. I observed her do it, I watched her looked at the syringe with great care.

"What's this for?" I asked, but then saw blood filling inside the syringe. "What is it doing?"

"It's taking blood," Catherine then took the syringe out. "It'll tell us what's been going on in your body."

I slowly nodded. I wanted to believe her, but I could feel she was withholding some things from me.

Esmee got up and looked at the syringe just like Catherine, they were so concentrated on this stupid thing. And I was left wondering why. What had they just done?

Then it beeped. "Why is it beeping?" I asked but got no response, instead, Catherine and Esmee got up and then smiled at each other before looking at me. I got up slowly. "W-what?"

Catherine put the syringe on her desk before walking to me. "Finally," She took my hands, her mood had changed drastically. "I knew you were the one."

I looked from her to Esmee, who now also came to me. "I should've known." She then caressed my cheek.

"Can someone tell me what's going on?"

They smiled, looked at each other before they looked at me. Catherine wrapped her arms around me, pulling me closer to her. I didn't stop her, and I don't know why, I just didn't feel like fighting her.

"Lily," Catherine caressed my back gently. "That syringe gave me the answer to what was wrong with your body," One of her hands came around and went over my stomach. "We're pregnant."