Chapter 14: Mabel

Lily's POV

I left that office. I was furious, I was stomping my feet on the ground. I didn't care who heard me or what they thought. I was furious they fired me for no reason at all. And I think I was also sad because I actually thought I belonged here. In a way.

While I was stomping through the work-place, I saw all my ex co-workers look at me. They looked worried and were probably wondering what had happened. But since they saw me go straight to the elevator, I think they figured what had happened. Or maybe not.

I got downstairs and immediately got on my bike. I rode back home. I was going fast, I was still furious. I can't believe Esmee and Catherine betrayed me like that.

After some time, when I exhausted my legs, I went slower. I looked around the town. It's funny to see the town now, during the day. There's so much life around, so many people, so many lights, so much atmosphere. It's great.

I got home soon and let my bike fall on the ground, I wasn't in the mood to put it in it's original spot against the wall. I couldn't care less.

I opened the front door and entered the house. "Lily?"

I sighed, the last thing I wanted were my parents coming to me. Yet here they were. "Yes?"

Mom and dad appeared at the door, where I was pulling off my coat and shoes. "Why are you here?"

I shrugged.

"Lily?" Mom caressed my face. And seeing her look at me like that, I couldn't contain myself anymore. I cried. "Oh Lily." She pulled me in for a hug, holding me close to her. "It's going to be ok." See that's the thing, what is going to be ok? I don't even know why I was so upset or so angry. I loved that job, but I don't know why it inflicted so many emotions within me.

"We'll find you something else." Dad patted my shoulders. "My offer still stands."

I pulled back a little to have a better look at him. And seeing him like that, I have to admit it did something to me. "Ok," I wiped my tears. "I'll join you."

Dad smiled immediately and mom quickly joined in. "Really?" He caressed my cheek as I slowly nodded. The look in his eyes were priceless, he was proud. He was so proud he'd finally be able to show off his own daughter to all his colleagues. She'll be fine, he'd say. "Thank you."

__________________________

"So I heard you were going to work with uncle John?" Avan was leaning against the lockers next to mine. He was playing with the strings of his hoodie.

"Yeah," I glanced at him before looking back into my locker, taking what I needed for this afternoon. "I figured, since they fired me at my old job, I should give dad a chance."

"Why did they fire you though?"

I sighed. "I wish I knew." I closed my locker. "They simply stated I wasn't ready, or something like that." I looked away, thinking about their exact words. That job might not be the best for me. I believe that's what they said. Nonsense.

"They missed out on a great person."

I looked at Avan, he was smiling reassuringly at me. He wanted me to feel good, and so I smiled at him. "Thanks."

We stood there for a bit, not really knowing what else to talk about. Until Avan looked directly behind me.

"What is it?"

He shushed me.

"What is it?" I whispered this time. Whatever it was behind me couldn't hear what we were saying.

Avan looked from behind me to me. "Mabel." He blushed as he said her name.

"Ah, the love interest." I smirked. "How's the relationship going?"

He glanced from her to me again. "We're friendly."

I nodded, expecting him to say more, but he didn't. "And?"

He looked at me again. One thing was for sure, he couldn't keep his eyes off her. "Well that's it. We're friendly."

"Well at least she knows you exist."

He nudged me playfully which made me smile.

"Hey Avan." I turned around, seeing a girl come up to us. I'm guessing this is Mabel.

Avan chuckled nervously. "Hey Mabel." His face was turning reddish while he blushed. I wonder if she noticed that.

Mabel looked at me, and I got her hint. Avan however didn't. So I helped him out. I looked at Mabel, presenting my hand for her to shake. "I'm Lily, his cousin."

Mabel smiled and, I believe, she seemed relieved in a way. I think she thought Avan and me had a different kind of relationship. Yuk, I can't even think about that. "Hey Lily, I'm Mabel." She looked at Avan, smiling. "His friend." She emphasized the word friend, so I'm guessing she's interested as well.

I looked from her to Avan, motioning him that she actually was interested as well. Though that only seemed to confuse him more, so I stopped. "Well I'll leave you two alone."

"It was nice meeting you." Mabel smiled, this time it was a real and genuine smile.

"Same." I picked up my backpack and walked to class.

__________________________

Esmee's POV

I finished the phone call and went to Catherine's office. When I entered, I saw she was busy on her computer.

"Hey," I closed the door and went to sit in front of her. "Everyone's ready for tonight."

Catherine nodded but didn't seem that excited.

I sighed, knowing exactly why she was acting that way. "Lily?"

Catherine leaned back in her chair, letting out a deep breath. "I lost her," She looked down. "Before I even got her."

I scooted closer, reaching for her hands but she snatched them away before I could touch them. "Catherine, I know this is sad for you, but there's no time to lose."

She nodded, but I could see it was against what she wanted. "Look for the next one." She barely said it above a whisper. I knew that, by looking at Catherine's behavior, Lily must've been special. They didn't even get a chance, yet Catherine was affected by Lily so much. Maybe Lily is the one...

"No," I couldn't let this slide. Lily was able to resist the eyes, she must be special in some way. "We'll get her."

Catherine looked at me, hope in her eyes. "Really?"

I nodded. "I'll call her in tomorrow." I then got up. "But tonight we'll have fun, like good old times. Ok?"

Catherine smiled. "Ok."