Chapter 7: Don't take a stranger home

Lily's POV

As the evening passed, my workday for today came to an end. And it went fine, I believe. People here were really nice once you were part of their workplace. I had made small talk with some, some were interested and asked some questions about me, some were happy that I was here to help. It was great.

Now I was on my way to Esmee's office, where I had left my stuff. And they'd give me a ride home, because it was already past curfew...

Most of the people here were already gone, they were home probably. I wonder why I had to stay in late, compared to them. Though I wasn't going to complain, I work like 3 hours a day, they work 8.

I arrived at Esmee's office and saw Miss Le Rouge in there as well, they seemed to be in an important discussion, since they were both looking at Esmee's computer.

I knocked on the door, to which they both looked at me. Esmee motioned me to enter, which I did.

"I'm sorry to interrupt." I slowly walked to my stuff, and took them. "I'm done for today."

They both nodded. "You'll bring her home?" Miss Le Rouge asked Esmee, to which Esmee nodded. "Good, give her parents this."

Esmee took a note or a letter from Miss Le Rouge and then got up. "Ready to go?"

I nodded and waited for Esmee to put on her coat and get her stuff together. While I was watching her, I felt Miss Le Rouge looking at me.

I looked at her. "Is there something wrong?"

She kept looking at me, again with a strange hint in her eyes. But I had no idea what that was. By now Esmee was looking as well, she was probably wondering what was going on.

I looked at Esmee. "Are we going?"

She nodded to which I left. I heard them talk behind me, but I just kept on walking.

Esmee soon caught up to me, and together we took the elevator down, to the underground parking lot.

When the elevator doors opened, I waited for her to lead me the way. When she understood that, she walked in front of me to her car. "Get in."

I entered a pretty good looking car. One thing was for sure, she had money. "Wow."

Esmee looked at me. "What?"

I looked from the car to her. "Great car."

She smiled politely and then started the car. "Let's get you home."

I nodded.

We got out of the parking lot and made our way through the abandoned ghost town. I looked outside, trying to observe what was happening in the town past curfew. But I saw nothing, not even them...

"Are you looking for something?"

I looked back at Esmee. "Not really, it's just chilling to see. The town." I looked back outside. "It's like a ghost town."

"Yeah," Esmee glanced at me. "Because of the curfew, I imagine."

I looked at her, she now too had a hint of something in her eyes. I really wondered what that was. Maybe that was a sign that she and Miss Le Rouge are indeed part of them... But if they were, why didn't they attack me? I was an easy target, back at the building.

"So," Esmee started, making me focus on her again. "How did you like your first day of work?"

"It went well, I think." I smiled a little. "People are nice."

We had to stop at a traffic light, giving Esmee the opportunity to look at me properly. "Yeah, we have great people working for us." Us? Does she mean her and Miss Le Rouge, if so, does that mean she's a CEO too?

I simply nodded, unsure of what else I should be answering.

"And what did you think of our CEO?"

I looked back at Esmee, what was she trying? "Uhm good. She's nice."

Esmee nodded. "If you have any complains or questions, you can go to me or her." She then glanced at me. "Ok?"

I nodded.

We soon arrived at my house. Esmee parked the car on the side of the road and kept the engine going which, according to my dad, could attract them. I had to get out. Should I tell her this? Maybe I should...

"Uhm..." She looked at me, again that hint in her eyes. "Maybe you shouldn't let the engine go as long as you're here."

"Why not?"

"Because it could attract them." I looked outside, making sure it was safe.

"Oh ok." She turned down the engine and then looked at me. "I was going to anyway, I have to bring you home safely."

I motioned to my house. "I am home."

She nodded. "Come on."

We both got out of the car and walked to my house. When we arrived at the front door, I took my keys and opened the door to which mom and dad soon arrived to greet me. But they stopped when they saw Esmee.

"Lily, who's that?" Mom asked as she pointed to Esmee.

"This is a co-worker." I motioned to Esmee, who was waving at them. "She brought me home because it's past curfew."

Esmee nodded and then took the envelope Miss Le Rouge had handed her earlier. "I have to give you two this." She handed it to my parents. "A copy of her contract with us, we'll make sure she's home safe after every work day."

Mom and dad quickly studied the paper before looking back at Esmee. "You better," Dad started, then he glanced at me before looking at Esmee again. "If anything happens to her, I'll sue your whole company."

Esmee simply nodded and then looked at me. "I'll see you tomorrow, good night." She waved at my parents before leaving our house.

I waved at her again before closing the door. I turned around only to see my parents look at me, worried. "She's nice, really."

"Lily, don't take strangers into the house. What if she's on of them?" Dad warned me.

"She didn't even enter the house!" I groaned and made my way upstairs. "You two should chill, I can take care of myself now!"

____________________________

Esmee's POV

I got back in my car, I started the engine and drove back home. While I was driving, I called Catherine.

"Esmee?"

I sighed. "We have a problem."

"What do you mean?" She paused. "What's the problem?"

I let out a breath. "She's the daughter of Special Agent J. Faulkner."