Chapter 63: Talking to Lilian

Lily's POV

"He was so angry..." I shook my head. "It's like he's a different person, it's so sad to see." I then looked at Emily, who was still drinking her milk.

"My parents weren't pleased when they heard my sister had a child with the Father Superior," Marianne then reached for my hand. "But they came around when they got to know Catherine. Just give him some time."

I sighed. "I just don't think he'll change."

"Who?" Esmee entered the living room and sat down with Marianne and me at the dining table, for breakfast.

"Her father." Marianne quickly informed Esmee.

"The meeting didn't go well?" Esmee asked, once again showing off how much she and Catherine discuss these things.

"No," I then looked at Emily again, she had finished drinking. "He's not the same anymore." I then held Emily close to me. "He was even mean to Emily."

"How can he be mean to a child?" Esmee asked as Marianne showed a face. I'm pretty sure she went through the same thing as I am now, and Esmee will never experience that since her parents are both sides.

"Just give him some time," Marianne repeated, then showed me a reassuring smile. "Hey, that's another thing that you and Catherine have in common."

I looked at her. In the corner of my eye, I saw Catherine enter the room, she was finally ready to have breakfast.

Marianne waited for a bit, probably for Catherine to sit down, and then she smiled. "Both of you have a rocky relationship with your father."

As soon as she had said that, Esmee nudged her. I looked at Catherine, who looked pissed off. "Hey," I smiled at her. "We missed you." I said as I showed off Emily, who looked at Catherine.

Catherine's angry eyes looked at Emily and me, and immediately changed into loving eyes. "Hey there," She kissed Emily countless times, then she came to me and kissed my lips. "I love you."

"I love you too." I kissed her back.

"Lily," Marianne started, making me back off from Catherine. "Can I talk to Catherine and Esmee privately?"

I looked from her to them then back to her. "Uhm sure," I looked at Catherine. "I'll be in our room."

Catherine nodded before looking at Marianne. Then I left the room.

__________________________

Third person's POV

As soon as Lily left the room, Esmee looked at her mother. "What were you thinking?!"

Marianne sighed. "Look, I'm just saying that Catherine finally has the chance to open up to someone," She then looked at Catherine. "I know you hate your past, but you can't keep bottling it up. It'll explode one day, and I just want Lily to be prepared for that."

"Mom!" Esmee said, rather loudly. "Catherine is just like her mother, she won't explode."

"We don't know that," She then looked back at Catherine. "Please, for Lily's sake, for Emily's sake, just tell her. Be open with her."

Catherine didn't say anything, she just listened to both sides. She actually agreed with both sides. But she was too proud to say that at loud.

"Lily knows a lot, thanks to you."

"She had to know," Marianne then looked back at Catherine. "Take her to your mom, Catherine, tell her."

Catherine then got up.

"Catherine?" Esmee and Marianne said simultaneously.

"Where are you going?" Esmee then added.

Catherine turned around. "Doing just that." She then left the room and got to her bedroom, in her head she was planning this day. She knew Lily would learn so much more about who she is, but she also realized she'll be faced with her old wounds.

__________________________

Lily's POV

"Where are we going?" I asked as Catherine led me somewhere. She had blindfolded me so I couldn't see anything. Though in my mind I was going through possible scenarios: maybe she would show me something, maybe she would get me something, maybe she would take me on a trip... But why?

"Ok," Then I felt her loosening the blindfold. When she pulled it off, I saw we were in a graveyard, not exactly the place I'd want to be... "We're here."

I looked at the gravestone right in front of me, since that one caught my eye. I knelt in front of it. "Lillian Labelle," I then looked at Catherine who seemed to have a hard time being here. "This is your mother?" I asked, even though I knew the answer.

Catherine nodded.

I motioned her to come to me, which she did. She handed me Emily and knelt next to me. Realizing Catherine had a hard time with this, I turned to the gravestone and said: "Marianne has told me about you," From the corner of my eye I saw Catherine look at me. "I'm so thankful for how you raised Catherine to become an amazing person, and I'll do everything I can to do the same with Emily."

Catherine reached for my hand, gently squeezing it. I think this was her way of showing me how thankful she was for this.

"And don't worry," I went on. "I promise I'll take care of Catherine. No harm will ever be done to her." I then looked at Catherine and motioned to the gravestone, hoping she'd get the hint.

Catherine looked from me to the gravestone, she seemed sad, which I fully understood. "Mom," She took a moment before continuing: "I miss you." She looked down.

I gently squeezed her hand now, showing her I was here to support her.

She looked back up at the gravestone. "I wish I could've done something to help you that day," She sniffled. "I'd do anything to help you, to get you back."

I looked down, I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do. I wanted to help her, but I didn't know what else to do instead of just holding on to her hand and quietly listening to her.

"And I promise I'll try not to become like dad," She then said, but she said it with a certain fear. A fear that made me wonder... Could she actually become like him? Why would she think she'd be able to kill me, in such a gruesome way? "I promise." She ended, sniffling even more.

I got up, pulling her up as well. I pulled her in for a hug and held her close for a few moments. Emily was in between us, something that clearly calmed Catherine down even more.

"Let's go," She suddenly said, taking my hand. Before she actually left, she looked at her mom's grave. "I love you, mom." Then she pulled me with her to the car again.