Chapter 42: The Last Smile

As soon as I stepped foot into the doctor's office, my head began spinning. I wish I was never here. I looked at Doctor Hansen, but Miss Tanner was already pulling me onto the chair next to hers. She gave me a look that said, "Everything will be okay." The desk in front of us a pretty oak wood that seemed to be entrancing me to stay, but the smell of the room was making me feel unnervingly nostalgic.

"Good morning, you two," Doctor Hansen said. "How are you feeling?"

I peered at Miss Tanner, and she began speaking. We had an agreement. She did all the talking, and I remained silent. "Well, we've seen better days, but I think we're healing a lot more. I'd have to say that we're still very emotionally attached to Tristan, for obvious reasons." Her pretty green eyes glowed sinisterly, all of the glittery sparkles gone. "I also think that keeping Cheryl away from Tristan isn't helping her heal emotionally. Just this morning, Cheryl began crying because of a mere memory of him by looking at her breakfast."

"We're sorry that you think that," Doctor Hansen replied, calm. Think? I saw the slight shiver that struck down his spine. "But as you know, we aren't allowed to let—"

Miss Tanner slammed her hands on the table, her blonde hair falling from behind her shoulders. From where I sat, I could see the hatred in her glare as she stared down at the doctor. Whoa..

"Doctor Hansen. Cheryl has already suffered much from her childhood because a soul from the Underworld had taken her family at a young age. She's been struggling to live because the police didn't do shit to fucking help her. Now, she's losing the person she loves because a fucking hospital won't let her see him. I would like to claim that you wouldn't like to see me angry because an angry mother isn't very pretty," Miss Tanner spat, her eyes still glowing a green hue. "Now, do your damn job to heal people, and let this poor girl see him at least this once, because after this, I can't guarantee that you will make it out of this office alive."

My grey eyes gleamed brightly when I looked up at Miss Tanner, who stood her ground. She's fucking awesome.. Doctor Hansen stood up as well and crossed his arms. Behind his glasses, his brown eyes flashed a gleaming red. "Miss Tanner, I would like for you to understand that the hospital has specific rules and laws we must stand by. And to break these said rules would mean to object the justice—"

"What damn justice is there to even start with in this situation?!" Miss Tanner yelled. "The high tiers have been contacting a man with villainous intentions, and no one found out except for two teenagers who tried to stop them! One of them was my SON, and the other is someone who obviously has strong feelings for him!" Through that rant, the room remained silent. She has a way with words. Miss Tanner looked once more at the trembling doctor. "Now, I kindly suggest you let the both of us see Tristan today. If not, then I stand by my words: I can not guarantee that you will make it out of this room alive."

"V-Very well," Doctor Hansen stuttered. "But only this once."

Miss Tanner's shoulders fell, and she let out a small sigh. "Alright. Fair enough." She looked down at me as Doctor Hansen opened the door. Miss Tanner grabbed my hand. "Is that okay with you, dear?" I didn't know what to say, so I nodded again. "I do apologize for making you see that."

Please don't. It was better than anything else I've ever seen.

She helped me to my feet and smiled. "Let's get going!"

"Okay.." I murmured quietly.

Miss Tanner happily walked out the room, sending a silent glare at Doctor Hansen as we passed by. She led me to the door and swung it open. She called cheerfully, "Good morning, Tristan!"

The room was dark, and I looked at the bed in the room. Tristan was lying on it, wires on his arms and crawling underneath the blanket of the bed. Miss Tanner led me to a chair next to the bed, and for the first time in a while, my eyes laid upon his face. My eyes seemed to water a little, but the tears couldn't fall anymore. I breathed in and hugged myself.

"Good morning," I whispered quietly, my throat tightening, "Tristan."

"Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to wake up. He has been moving a little, but this might be due to his subconscious mind trying to wrap around the situation," informed Doctor Hansen, staying in the doorway. He gently shuffled Miss Tanner to the doorway and whispered something. "I'm not confident he will make it."

My hands gripped the edge of the hoodie, wrinkling the soft fabric. I glanced at Tristan's hand and reached for it, longing to hold him. My hand wrapped around his finger, and I looked down. Some wishes don't come true. And I can only hope that mine will be carried by the wind and blown to the heavens. As the two adults continued their conversation, I noticed Miss Tanner becoming more and more nervous and apprehensive. Clearly, whatever Doctor Hansen was saying had been working up her nerves into an overhaul. I silently leaned on the side of the bed, my head in my crossed arms.

My hand held Tristan's tightly, and I mumbled quietly, "When will you wake up and finally free us from this hell?"

I wanted to completely ignore the adults that continued to talk because I could hear their conversations. My hand reached up to Tristan's face, letting it brush against his cheek softly. Doctor Hansen was right about Tristan flinching and twitching; he had twitched right then and there. I miss you. Even if you're right in front of me. But I really do want to hear your voice again and see your pretty green eyes. I put my hand on his forehead and pulled back his hair. Standing up from the chair and letting it fall over, I leaned over and planted a delicate kiss on his forehead. He flinched, but instead, it seemed more calm.

The chair that had fallen captured the adults' attention, and they watched me. I pulled back and looked at Tristan, a small smile on my lips. My grey eyes seemed to shine one last time before dimming darkly.

"Rest well, Tristan."