?30? Down under

"morning sunshine! you sure as hell took a beating, but I'm glad to see you up and not dead." Mavis smiled as she looked over her shoulder at the semi-concusious Steve who still laid limply in the back seat with Mike, Dustin and Max. slowly she looked over at his hazy friend before squinting at Mike quizzically, acting as if he knew that face from somewhere before.

"Nancy?" he mumbled. the sudden name making the younger look at the man strangely with a slight bit of offense in his stare having been called by his sisters name, and even worse thinking he resembles her in some weird way. blurry vision soon began to focus as the battered teen strangely eyed the can of lighter fluid beside Max, immediately Steve began to grow worried and confused slowly sitting up he began to question the driver.

"w-what the hell is...going on?" he questioned as he went to pinch the bridge of his nose to relieve himself of the terrible headache that rippled in his head. but a soft voice voice and gentle hand stopped him.

"hey buddy hey, sh shhh," Dustin whispered as he lightly pushed away Steve's hands from his face, not wanting to infect or open the wounds any more than they already were.

"you put up a good fight, he kicked your ass though but you still put up a good fight." he smiled as he placed the ice pack on the side of his head.

"okay now you want to swing a right up here." Lucas instructed as Mavis sped through the backwoods of Hawkins towards the local Johnson family pumpkin patch where the hoard of demo-dogs were hiding out at. as the group sped through the woodsy area Mavis continuously ran the plan through her head, piecing together loose ends or possible screw ups that could happen along the way but luckily everything she could think of had a good turn out.

the plan she had carefully instructed was that when they get to the farm they were going to find the root of all this mess and burn it to the ground. problem solved. all they had to do now was get to the farm, find the entrance to the tunnels and burn the shit out of it. easy peasy but Steve on the other hand thought other wise of this whole ordeal.

"stop the car! M-Mavis stop the car!" Steve shouted as he slowly sat up not liking the fact that they were doing something so reckless with out his permission. looking back over at her friend in amusement she giggled at his disoriented behavior and shook her head.

"calm down, we're almost there right Lucas?" the younger nodded as he looked from the map to the woman beside him.

"make a sharp left down that path right there." he said as he gestured to a small, almost nonvisible path. Nodding in response the young adult steered down the path quickly causing everyone to let out small curses as they nearly bumped into one another.

"sorry!" she giggled as she looked back at the scowling kids in the back seat. Steve finally regaining full consensus sat up and leaned forward so his face was right between Mavis and Lucas. holding back the urge to throw up he eyed his friend dangerously.

"STOP THE CAR MAVIS!" he shouted. the sudden raise of voice causing the concentrated driver to lose control of the wheel and spin out of control down the dirt path. screams of children echoed through the young tears ears as she finally attained control of the wheel once again.

"see I told you he would freak out!" Mike snapped.

"RIGHT!" Lucas shouted.  quickly the car spun right and continued to race down the rocky path until the open pumpkin patch came into view. slamming on the breaks the kids lurched forward in their seats then slammed right back into them. Steve however collided face first with the dash board, letting out a loud groan he rubbed is already aching face.

looking back at the almost sick kids Mavis smiled to them and turned the car off. acting as if she didn't almost get them killed for the second time that night. 

"here we are!" she smiled as she got out the car. acting as if she didn't nearly kill everyone in the car. the kids along with the semi-conscious Steve stumbled out of the vehicle. already remembering to do as they were told they walked towards the trunk of the car, the older teen unlocking it in order to pass around bandanas, pool goggles, and rubber gloves.

"HOLD THE PHONE!" Steve shouted as he gathered himself up from the ground, now becoming fully aware of what the group planned on doing. the dizzy spell he was under quickly subsided as he began to stop all action of this plan going into motion.

"Jeez, what crawled up your butt?" Mavis asked as she handed everyone goggles and bandanas. looking at her wide-eyed he began to go on and on about how it was their  responsibility to watch these kids and instead of protecting them they were putting them at risk. but even though they would take a bullet for them it was their decision to help out a friend who could also be at risk. one couldn't help but go along with such an idea.

"Listen Steve, we know you made a promise to Nancy-both of you did. so you are going to do what she asked the both of you to do, protect. us." Dustin said as he shoved a pair of goggles in his hands and bandanna as well. smiling proudly Mavis tousled her brothers hair, happy that he was able to say something so encouraging to her faithful friend during such a life threatening moment.

"Fine, but if any of you little shits get hurt just know I'm responsible for that." He argued as he put on a pair of rubber gloves. His face twisting with worry and nervousness as the group got ready to put the- hopefully foolproof plan- into action. while everyone assembled there gear Mavis walked over to the large hole in the ground. shining her flash light down it she witnessed clouds of what seemed like dust and a floor of dirt, with roots creeping to the surface.

even though this could be the unfortunate end for her and her friends she decided against her commonsense to do the boldest thing she had ever done. knowing that this was worth it, all for the price of a friend she was ready to do this no matter the stakes. in her eyes Eleven wasn't just a friend, she was like a sister to her and as she slowly rocked back and forth over the edge the hole she softly repeated to herself: "family protects family no matter what."  looking back at the group that was just a few feet away watching her every movement with scarf covered faces and eyes enclosed with plastic pool goggles she smiled behind the bandana that covered her mouth and noes before looking back down at the dark, mysterious hell hole, known as the fine line between life and death, she said out loud:

"What lives up, must go down." She sighed as she jumped down the dark hole.

A/N:

Hi, how you doin'? 😏 ~Natalia💕