💉42 💉rude awakening

"i mean, i had fun. i really did step out out of my comfort zone. which was a major, 'whoa' moment for me." my mother who sat at the kitchen table watched with calm eyes as she over looked the two of us closely. having nothing to hide from her i pulled my curls into a frizzy bun and slipped over my oversized grey sweater with ketchup and paint stains on the front. my make up and ruined mascara was evident proof that i had a great time as i had told her. Steve as well straightened himself out as we managed to get ourselves together for breakfast, his suit shirt was left a bit un buttoned to show off his pale, markless , chest, another sign that we didn't do anything last night. i didn't want to say anything out loud in fear of sparking controversy at such an early hour of, two'o'clock in the afternoon, otherwise i would have came right out and said the truth. but knowing my mom she would want me to go in full detail of what happened last night, truth be told, after i took my shoes off when i got home i blanked out. my mind was too tired to remember anything else about one of the best and worst nights of my life.

"is that so?" she commented as she sipped on her coffee cup. she had also taken the day off to make sure nothing would or could happen that would result in the physical contact while she was away. this behavior was nothing short of new, but it never failed to surprise me when it would reveal itself the way it did.

"she also won tittle of prom queen." that was the one thing i refused to let her have knowledge of. and it was exactly that, that he told her. nearly chocking on his lunch, Dustin began to cough and sputter like an idiot at the sudden news of me wining such a stupid name that wouldn't even matter after a month or two. my mom on the other hand completely lost it. her curious attitude had turned into one of excitement and joy as she got up from her seat and hugged me as tightly as she could.

"oh my goodness! i can't believe it my beautiful and intelligent daughter won prom queen! this is so exciting!" letting out a nervous giggle i patted her hands and playfully rolled my eyes at her over excited self. it was my moms secret dream to have me win prom queen, since she never got the tittle back in her day she thought it would be a perfect idea for me to give it a shot. but i never committed to it. i was never interested in stuff like that hence why she never forced it upon me, but last night came as a big shock for the both of us considering the fact that i didn't even sign myself up for it!

"Mavis this is great news! oh my goodness i need to call everyone and tell them the good news! grandma is gonna be so happy!" and just like that my mother zipped into the other room to leave us in peace.my brother who still sat at the table looked at me with an expectant look on his face, almost as if he was waiting for me to say something to him, almost like a thank you in some way. but what would i be thanking him for unless he-

"you motherfucker," i whispered so our mom wouldn't hear. my body was now leaning in dangerously close to my siblings as he shrugged his shoulders as if he didn't know what i meant. Steve lightly pulled me back in my seat and watched the event unfold with confused eyes, much like the night we were trying to come up with a plan on how to stop the demogorgans. god, those days seemed like ages ago.

"you did it didn't you? you fucking signed me up for prom queen didn't you?" shrugging, he took a sip of his water and casually leaned back in his seat.the look in his eyes was the only answer i needed about my sudden, unwanted, victory.

"You bastard! You did this on purpose! To humiliate me! You know I hate attention! You know this! And yet you deliberately have me run for prom queen right under my fucking nose!" Before I could see the any more than I wanted to, Dustin began to speak.

"if you mean passing around a secret petition to people i knew that would think you would be a perfect candidate then yes. yes i did. the guys and i did that because we felt that you needed to be celebrated because you're such a great person. so if that's how you really feel about it then you're fucking welcome!" getting up from his seat he grabbed his backpack and bike before rushing out the front door. sitting there frozen, i looked at Steve with a questioning look on my face, but then eyed the front door when he suddenly came back in. a strong gust of wind almost shoving him inside the house as he forced the door closed.

"it's too cold do you mind driving me to Lucas's?" still acting as stubborn as he was, i picked up a piece of bacon and took a bite before nodding at his question and slowly sinking back into my chair.

"can i change?" sighing loudly he turned and went back into his bedroom, violently slamming the door behind him.

"is he gonna be okay?" shrugging i continued to pick and eat at my breakfast while Steve did the same.

"i'm sure he will, but in the mean time i'm gonna get some shoes on and take off this dress. i might as well take you home too while i'm at it." i said as i put my finished plate in the sink. still finishing up his breakfast he nodded and watched as i walked back into my room, unzipping the dress i let it pool around my ankles before slipping on a pair of grey sweat pants and fuzzy socks. pulling on my dock martins i went into the bathroom and washed the rest of the make up off. the only thing left were my raccoon eyes which i didn't bother to wipe away out of pure lazyiness.

knocking on my brothers door he opened it and walked out, brushing by me in the process. almost hurt by his sudden rude behavior i grabbed his shoulder and spun him around, glancing back at Steve, i watched as he helped my mother wish the dishes. rolling my eyes at his motherly interactions.i turned my attention back to the kid in front of me. arms crossed and eyes looking down at the floor blankly, this sudden and new behavior was really starting to nip at me like crazy. usually when he would get heated he was able to bounce back with in a snap of my fingers, but this time was different. had me sharing a bed with his new best friend really taken that much of a toll on him? I mean I didn't snap at him THAT badly. Or did i?

"what's with the attitude curly?" i said in a hushed voice. rolling his eyes he went to walk by me but i continued to black his path.

"i'm not letting you go until you tell me what the hell is going on with you?" letting out a huff he roughly pushed me aside and continued to walk away. the shove nearly causing me to hit the wall because its force was so strong.

"it's nothing and it doesn't matter." continuing to walk away from me, I suddenly began to feel a sudden pain in my heart that made me wince. the feeling wasn't foreign but it wasn't what was weird about it. what was weird about the heart ache was the fact that it was caused by my brother. sure I acted like I couldn't give two shits about him but deep down I loved him to no end, sure I made a big deal about doing him little favors here and there but I still did them because I loved him. but this new attitude wasn't doin' it for me.

still standing there dumbfounded by what just happened I slowly regained my senses and shook it off. trying to act as if nothing was wrong I glanced over at Steve who was helping my mom wash the dishes, cocking my head to the side in shock and amazement at such a peculiar sight I smiled and grabbed my car keys before walking over to the two. they both happily chatted between themselves about last night and how "amazing" it was, and what happened, who was there, how I behaved and such other nonsense. tapping him on the shoulder he looked over and smiled at me, his hands still wiping the wet plate clean with a dish rag.

"alright Lucy lets get you home." I smirked as I twirled my keys around my finger. sticking his tongue out at me he put the plate in the cupboard and leaned the dish rag against the sink.

"aww does he have to leave so soon?he was telling me about how wonderful last night went." playfully rolling my eyes i nodded and slung an arm around my beloved's shoulders.pulling him close to me in almost a head lock i smiled and nodded my head.

"yeah his parents are probably worried about him and i gotta take Dustin to Lucas's so i might as well." feeling him struggle in my grip i giggled and listened as he made fake gaging noises and lightly pulled at my arm to get it away from his neck. pouting slightly my mother nodded and continued on with the dishes.

"i swear you're going to be the death of that young man." she giggled as she watched us walk away. turning back to look at her i smirked at her comment and pulled Steve closer to me.

"it's love. what more can i say?"