?32? Run for your fucking lives!

"FUCKING RUN!" Mavis shouted as the loud growls of the Demodogs from behind the group became more coherent. quickly running towards their only escape route they dashed over vines that crawled up from the dirt, jumping over them while also running from their deaths became next to impossible to do all at once. the darkness they had grown use to had morphed into something else, by the way the flashlights shone frantically in just about every direction. with Steve leading the way this time and Mavis keeping track of the kids in the back the party continued to hustle through the echoing tunnels of the hive mind.

hearing the howls and snarls of the monsters that were hot on their trial only pushed the group further into the abyss. that was until a loud 'off' echoed in the dark along with a cry for help. the sound of the voice made Mavis run ahead to see Mike's ankle caught in the trap of the various vines that struck through the dirt. watching it twist up his leg Stevie grabbed the young boys arms, frantically trying to pull him back up to his feat. receiving little success Mavis gripped her hatchet that she kept in the belt of her jeans and thrashed the sharp object right down on the vine that continued to squeeze Mike's ankle tightly.

watching the thing spilt itself into two made the whole group stand back in awe as they watched the teen nearly separate Mike's ankle from the rest of his body with just once swift chop. quickly pulling the startled kid up from the ground the group continued to run for dear life as the howls and stomping feet of the Demo-dogs echoed through the walls. upon the frantic sprint to find the only way out of this nightmare they finally stumbled upon the safety rope.

smiling gratefully at the sight of the glorious rope of safety, the group trudged on. but was once again stopped but this time for a different purpose. holding the kids safely behind her Steve whipped out his bat, slowly stalking towards the lone Demo-dog known as Dart.

"Mavis, let me go I can handle this!" Dustin begged as he looked up at his sister pleadingly. shaking her head she felt her eyes widen to the size of the moon at such a ridiculous offer. even his friends who stood behind the older, frightened out of their wits shook their heads.

"you're fucking crazy if you th-" pushing through his sister he calmly walked towards the monster. keeping herself from screaming profanity after profanity at her brother for being so stupid and reckless, but she bit her tongue and instead called out to him with a harsh tone in her voice.

"Dustin if you don't get your ass back here in three seconds!" looking over at his sister, his goggles pushed up to the top of his head as he gently pulled down the cloth that protected his nose and mouth from getting any dust in his system. He gave her a reassuring smile and gestured to the creature before slowly producing from his back pocket a three musketeers.

"I got this." slowly dropping to one knee he tore open the candy bar and began to speak to the monster in a hushed tone. suddenly Mavis felt a little twitch in her heart, not for the thing her sibling was talking to but the way he was talking to it. his hushed voice and calming smile made his sister think back to earlier this morning, after Billy had ruined everything that meant so much to her all she could seem to hear through her sobs and hiccups was the voice of her brother.

in that moment she knew he meant well, he always did but this was one of those reckless moments where she just had to trust him. and so standing there with the kids still huddled behind her, muttering to themselves how dumb Dustin was for getting so close to that thing and how dangerous it was but Mavis hushed their worries and continued to watch her brother quiet the creature.

"hey buddy, it's me Dustin I know what I did was a pretty shitty thing to do and I'm sorry but you did eat my cat." he sighed as he watched the animal creep forward. tensing up a bit he pealed back the white wrapper to reveal the chocolate treat. seeming to notice the scent of it Dustin smiled and began to rip it to bite size pieces.

"you hungry? it's our favorite nougat." he smiled as he placed the pieces on the floor. sniffing it the monster began to eat it, seeing something so outrageous like the interaction between kid and thing made Steve almost scream.

"this is crazy!" he whisper shouted as he still held his bat up in a swinging position a few feet away from Dustin. shushing the bewildered Steve the group of kids and two teenagers continued to watch with stunned and amazed eyes an unusual friendship. not daring to look away from Dart Dustin gestured for the group to pass by him while the monster continued to become distracted. quickly they all shuffled by the two but only Mavis stayed, the incredible sight making a ghost of a smile appear on her lips as she watched her brother throw the rest of the candy bar to Dart. slowly rising to his feet he put his gear back on. his eyes shifting to his sisters proud ones as they both quietly slid by and continued to catch up with the group.

Approaching the escape rope one by one Steve and Mavis quickly helped the kids up through the hole. there movements becoming even swifter as they saw the crowd of Demo-dogs rapidly approach. with all the kids safe and the two teens in the path of the monsters there was barely enough time to save themselves. grabbing onto the rope the two clung on for dear life as they squeezed their eyes shut, ready to accept their deaths. as the howling and stomping feet was right next to them, with that also came the sounds of the kids begging for them to climb the rope to safety. Tears began to brim in Dustins eyes as he reached out for his sister who just clung onto Steve as tightly as she could.

"MAVIS!" He screamed as he watched the stampede rush past the two teens. But unable to withstand the horrible outcome of his sisters fate he looked away. Resisting the erg to cry he fell into the open arms of Lucas who just like the others couldn't bare to see or hear the screams of pain from two friends whom they loved dearly.

but suddenly the painful feeling of death didn't come nor did the sound of it erupt from the two friends. in fact it was like the Demo-dogs avoided them entirely! looking down Steve and Mavis saw the creatures pass by them like they weren't even there. it was like two grown humans weren't appealing to them, it was the last thing on their minds as the stampede rushed through the tunnels.

"PULL US UP!" the two teens shouted as they braced themselves for the pull. feeling the tug of the rope the two teens grabbed hold of the edge of the hole and pulled themselves up and out of the hive mind. ripping off the goggles and bandanna Mavis sucked in the sweet scent of fresh air. opening her eyes she became face to face with the beautiful starry night sky, she thought for a moment she was seeing what heaven looked like but soon she heard the voices of kids frantically asking if she was okay. their faces crowded her sight of the glorious cosmos as she desperately tried to figure out whether everything was real or just her imagination.

"guys give her some room." Steve said as he lightly pushed the kids away from the confused teen. slowly she sat up and propped herself up on the palms of her hands, eyeing nobody in particular she opened her mouth to speak but stopped when a blinding bright light shone in her eyes. the headlights of Billy's Camaro became as blinding as the sun, as everyone shielded their eyes from the harsh light but quickly it died back down to it's original setting.

"Mav? You alright?" Steve asked as he crouched down beside her. The kids as well worried for their friend as they continued to crowd around her once again. Dustin for the third time that night fearing the worst for his sister held her stunned face in his hands, visible tears gleamed in his eyes as he tried not to stumble over his words.

"Please tell me you're okay? I thought you were for sure a-a goner." Removing his hands from her face Mavis laid back down on the cold wet grass and closed her eyes. Sighing heavily she began to reclaim all sense and notion about the events which took place today, wanting nothing more than sleep and something to eat she only said a few words which the kids and Steve have heard more than once from her that day.

"I. need. a. fucking. cigarette."